We owe it to you, our most passionate supporters, to reflect on our accomplishments of the last calendar year, even though we are preoccupied with the rapid release of actions from the new administration.
As an affiliate of 22 counties and 160 employees, we kept our doors open and provided over 68,000 patient visits in our 11 Health Centers.
- Beat back House Bill 1411, the Florida Legislation signed by Governor Scott that defunded PP in Florida. Federal District Judge Robert Hinkle ruled that Planned Parenthood of Southwest and Central Florida was discriminated against and was denied our constitutional rights as a healthcare provider.
- Relocated the St. Petersburg health center to the urban downtown core, where we immediately saw a 25% rise in patient visits.
- Located new health center space in North Tampa, where we are completing plans to open a full time health center in the spring to a growing population.
- Added transgender services and limited primary care to our service set.
- Made our annual budget of $16M for the first year of operating as a merged affiliate with your partnership as individual funders of almost $5M.
Now with the Congressional and State Legislative leadership walking in lockstep to oppose access to women’s health through their reckless dismissal of Medicaid expansion, decrease in public health services, disregard for the positive impact of the Affordable Care Act and the rejection of logic, where family planning services are under attack by those opposed to abortion, it is clear that as we celebrate 100 years of service by PP in the U.S., we as an institution must remain strong.
Thank you for standing with PP this past year. We need you more than ever.
Barbara A. Zdravecky