Welcome to Planned Parenthood of Southwest and Central Florida!
If you have landed here, then you obviously understand that safe is sexy. We distribute tens of thousands of condoms at our health centers annually - for free - because if you're going to have sex, then we want you to be able to do it safely, without fear of unwanted pregnancy or STDs.
Here are 10 interesting facts about condoms, which you can also find on the website of our national organization, Planned Parenthood Federation of America:
- When it comes to HIV, using a condom makes sex 10,000 times safer than not using a condom.
- There is no medical reason why someone can’t use a condom. Even people with latex allergies can use them — there are latex-free condoms made of polyurethane and polyisoprene.
- Condoms have been around a long, long time. The earliest known illustration of a man using a condom is a 12,000–15,000-year-old painting on the wall of a cave in France.
- One in four acts of vaginal intercourse is condom-protected in the U.S. It is one in three among single people.
- People who use condoms feel their experiences are just as pleasurable as people who don’t.
- 93% of sexually active American women aged 15–44 have had a partner that used a male condom.
- Condom availability in places of need around the world is increasing significantly, with 25.8 million female condoms provided through international and nongovernmental funding sources in 2009.
- The condom is one of the most accessible and inexpensive forms of birth control available. The cost of condoms can be as low as $0.04 per unit - or FREE at Planned Parenthood!
- The vast majority of American teens (68% of females and 82% of males) use a condom the first time they have sex.
- Only 39% of American high school students are taught how to correctly use a condom in their health classes. Programs that teach young people about abstinence as well as contraception, including condom use, help youth to delay first sex and use condoms and other forms of contraception when they do have sex.
If you would like to see a listing of our health centers, click here; you can even make an appointment online. Just click on the name of the health center that is most convenient for you.
Thank you for visiting us at One.PPSWCF.org!