We will continue to resist and win in 2018!
In 2017, you marched, you rallied, you called Congress, you got on a bus in the middle of summer and went to DC to fight back and defeat Trumpcare. You stepped up, you made your voice heard and you were ready to do whatever it took to protect access to Planned Parenthood for over 60,000 patients who come to us for their health care. That’s why we are calling on you to keep fighting with us in 2018 and take back power from the Administration, from Congress and state lawmakers who are threatening our basic human rights. Are you ready to continue to resist and WIN in 2018?
February 7 is the start of the state legislative session and it ends May 9. We need your voice and your action to help advance reproductive freedom in our state during session and beyond!
We will be leading efforts with the CT Coalition for Choice to protect access to reproductive health and rights by:
- Supporting legislation to protect the essential benefits of the Affordable Care Act into state law including preventive health services for women, like birth control, with no-copay or cost sharing and expanded prescription coverage up to 12 months for contraceptives.
- Preserving funding for these vital health care services in CT including the Medicaid (Husky) program.
- Repealing Connecticut’s “living will” statute carve-out for pregnant women.
- Prohibiting the restraint (shackling) of women who are known to be pregnant in prison.
We know our patients don’t just need sex education, birth control, or cancer screenings -- our patients need a living wage, access to quality education, to live in communities free of violence and without fear their families will be torn apart and without fear of harm from discriminatory policies. That’s why we will work to pass:
- paid family medical leave, pay equity to combat the gender wage gap, minimum wage increase and fair work week to support workers and families in our state.
As we fight for a more equitable and just society we will continue to work with coalition partners promoting racial justice, voting rights, economic equality, and immigrant rights. We will be standing in solidarity with the immigrant community and working with the CT Immigrant Rights Alliance fighting to strengthen state law to keep our immigrant community safe from deportation and working with CT Students for a Dream to ensure they have equal access to higher education. Also, working with partners including CTCORE-Organize Now! to address police accountability.
We need to demand more from our state lawmakers, we need them to take action and fight to protect access to health care for all people and ensure our communities have what they need to live healthy and self-determined lives.
Tell us how you want to join us in the fight forward to advance policies and protect the basic human rights our patients and our communities need and deserve. Check out ways you can get involved in the upcoming weeks and months and let us know what commitments you will take to advance the movement for reproductive freedom! Planned Parenthood staff will be here to support you in your action, so tell us what you need!
Want to strengthen your power building skills as activists and learn how to organize for change in your community? Join us at one of our upcoming trainings in Stamford and Hartford.
Any questions or comments? Reach out to [email protected]