In July 1939, shortly before the opening of San Antonio’s first birth control clinic, the clinic’s board held a tea party.
This wasn’t just a social event. According to notes from the board secretary, the tea was “given to the heads of charity organizations in San Antonio for the purpose of introducing them to the work and aims of the Maternal Health Center and to enroll their support in furthering our own ideals.” The guests included women from the Bexar County School for Girls, the Junior League Children’s Clinic, the Salvation Army, and dozens more.
The founders of the Maternal Health Center—which would later become Planned Parenthood—knew the only way they could truly make a difference to women and families in San Antonio was to work with other community groups who shared the same ideals.
Or call 1-800-230-7526