INTERNSHIP TITLE: Public Affairs Intern
REPORTS TO: Program Manager
FUNCTION: The Public Affairs (PA) Intern will support the advocacy work of Regional Organizers and the Organizing Director of Planned Parenthood of South, East and North Florida by providing research, data entry, clerical assistance, event planning and direct volunteer contact. This internship is based in regional offices throughout the affiliate service area and includes some evening hours. Opportunities are available in Miami Gardens, West Palm Beach and Tallahassee.
SAMPLE SKILLS TO BUILD:
- Contact current and potential supporters and volunteers for participation in Planned Parenthood activities, including events, advocacy actions, phone banks, and college campus/community organizing.
- Assist with event planning, including logistical and on-site details.
- Communicate with volunteers via email and phone.
DATABASE MANAGEMENT AND MINING:
- Manage databases to track volunteers and activists; database input and maintenance.
- Assist with online communications to activists to build PPSENFL presence on social networking sites and blogs.
- Research community event opportunities.
- Student must have arrangement with learning institution to be eligible for an internship
- Excellent written and interpersonal skills
- A demonstrated commitment to and interest in reproductive health care needs/issues
- Understanding and/or interest in public affairs and advocacy
- A desire to assume ownership of projects by taking direction and working independently to achieve team goals
- Three professional or academic recommendations
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel and PowerPoint)
- The PA Intern will work with his/her PPSENFL supervisor to develop a regular schedule for the duration of their internship.
- Must be able to intern flexible hours including some nights and weekends and be willing to travel.
- Complete a positive background check including drug test, finger prints and provide at least 3 references.
PROFESSIONALISM: Displays appropriate attitude, actions and attire for the internship. Maintains own work area. Demonstrates commitment, dedication and positive behavior.
TEAMWORK: Able to gain cooperation from others and work collaboratively toward solutions which generally benefit all involved parties. Proactively identifies opportunities to assist others and ensures that information is communicated accurately and timely. Behaves honestly and ethically.
PLANNING AND ORGANIZING: Establishes a systematic course of action to accomplish specific objectives. Determines priorities and uses time effectively. Completes the duties required of the internship. Able to change priorities according to assignments and asks for assistance as appropriate.
ATTENTION TO DETAIL: Thorough in accomplishing a task. Accurately completes projects on time.
SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS: Able to maintain confidentiality of all PPSENFL, advocates, patients and activities on and away from the internship. Compliance with Florida laws related to voter registration if applicable.
HOURS: per arrangement with learning institution
If interested please email [email protected]