Getting Ready for Moderate Sedation (Twilight Sleep)
To make an appointment for abortion services, please call us at 1-800-230-PLAN.
When you come for your appointment, we will talk to you about the benefits and risks of moderate sedation in detail. To prepare for moderate sedation before you come to your appointment:
- Starting at midnight before your appointment, do not have anything to eat. This helps reduce the risk of aspiration, or swallowing food by accident into your lungs, which can cause a complication during the procedure. You may drink clear liquids (for example: water, apple juice, tea, NOT milk) up to two hours before your appointment.
- If you have diabetes and are taking insulin, please talk to our staff about the requirements for preparing for moderate sedation.
- You MUST have a responsible adult who will drive you home. The effects of moderate sedation can last for several hours.
- Take all of your medications that you normally take on the morning of your procedure. Take with water.
- If you are asthmatic you MUST bring your inhaler.
- If you have not followed the above directions, you WILL NOT be able to get moderate sedation. You may still be able to have a procedure with local anesthesia.