What is the Family Planning Benefit Program (FPBP)?
This program provides family planning services to all women and men of childbearing age who meet certain income and residency requirements. This program is funded through Medicaid but you do not need to be a current Medicaid patient to participate. Many, many more people can get free services with this program than other Medicaid programs.
Who is eligible?
- Women and men of childbearing age, including teens and college students
- New York State residents
- Eligible income levels
- Must be fertile--this a family planning program; sterilized or infertile people are not covered
What services are covered?
This program provides coverage for family planning-related health care including:
- All FDA approved birth control methods, devices, prescription drugs and supplies including new methods such as "the patch" and Nuvaring
- Emergency contraception and follow-up
- Male and female sterilization (PPNCNY does not currently offer sterilization services.)
- Preconception counseling, preventive screening and family planning options
The following services are also free when they are part of a family planning clinic visit. You MUST have these services as part of a family planning visit or they will not be covered by the Family Planning Benefit Program.
- Gynecological exams including clinical breast exam (mammography not included)
- Pregnancy testing and counseling
- Reproductive health information, education and counseling services related to pregnancy, sexually transmitted infection risk and family planning options
- Screening for sexually transmitted infections, cervical cancer (Pap smears) and genito-urinary infections
- Screening and related diagnostic testing for health conditions that affect contraceptive choice such as high blood pressure or diabetes
- HIV counseling and testing
- Lab tests to determine eligibility for contraceptive choice
- Referrals for primary care services, if needed
What services are NOT covered?
Services not related to family planning
Is it confidential?
Yes, your participation in the Family Planning Benefit Program is 100% confidential. Planned Parenthood services are always confidential. You can request that mailings be sent to an address other than your home.
If you currently have health insurance but choose not to use it to cover family planning services for confidentiality reasons, your health insurance company will NOT be contacted.
How can I sign up?
Call 1-800-230-PLAN to make an appointment.
Gather the information you need for your appointment. Our staff will make sure you know what to bring with you.
Come to your completely confidential appointment!
What if I'm getting free services now?
If you get free services now, you can apply for the Family Planning Benefit Program and make your life easier. You only need to bring proof of income ONCE to your application appointment, along with the other required documents. You will not need to bring proof of income for each health center visit.
What if I have health care insurance?
If you have health insurance, you may still qualify for the Family Planni Benefit Program, to help with copays and deductibles. Or, if you have health insurance but do not want to use it for your Planned Parenthood services for confidentiality reasons, you can still qualify for the Family Planning Benefit Program, providingyou meet the income requirements. Talk about it with a PPNCNY staff member at your application appointment.