Teachable Moments are everyday opportunities we can use to hear what children think about a sexuality topic and also to share healthy messages.
ASK a question that encourages the child to share their views and opinions on a sexuality topic they care about. For example, ask “What do you think about that show with the parenting teens?"
LISTEN to the child’s feelings about the issue.
SHARE your family values, add accurate information, and also affirm their knowledge about the topic.
• Use a warm and welcoming tone of voice.
• Show interest in what the child has to say.
• Stay calm and avoid reacting with anger or by making assumptions.
• Answer any questions openly and honestly.
• Keep trying. If a conversation doesn’t go as well as you hoped, don’t be afraid to revisit and try again. The more you practice, the more naturally it will come.