Planned Parenthood of New York City promotes comprehensive sex education in schools and for school-aged youth as an important way along with parental guidance to help young people lead sexually healthy and responsible lives. We:
- Assist schools in developing and delivering medically accurate, age-appropriate sex education curricula.
- Conduct two evidence-based interventions, "Making Proud Choices!" and "Be Proud! Be Responsible!," to reduce adolescent sexual risk behaviors.
- Conduct the evidence-based intervention, "Be Proud! Be Responsible! Be Protective," to help pregnant and parenting adolescent girls reduce their risk for STDs, HIV, and unplanned pregnancy.
- Bring our "Taking Care of You" workshops to schools and community organizations in the Bronx, Brooklyn, and Manhattan. These workshops cover topics such as abstinence, contraception, prevention of STDs including HIV, sexual orientation, healthy relationships, and many other concerns.
- Offer interactive workshops led by our award-winning peer educators, the Teen Advocates, who educate young people about teens' rights and access to sexual and reproductive health care.
- Offer workshops led by our Adult Role Models, community members trained to show parents, teachers, and other trusted adults how to talk with kids about sex in a comfortable and informed way.
- Provide trainings that can help educators to hone their knowledge and skills for teaching about sexual and reproductive health.
- Advocate for funding and legislation to support comprehensive sex education in New York schools. The Sexuality Education Alliance of New York City, which PPNYC co-chairs, has released a poll asking 314 students whether they received sex education in their schools. Find out what they said is missing and what needs to be better.
To bring a workshop for a youth audience to your school, call (212) 274-7263.
To bring a workshop for an adult audience to your school, call (212) 274-7362.
For assistance with sex education curricula or for other inquiries, call (212) 274-7336.