The outcome of the election was heartbreaking, devastating, and shocking. It is clear that under this new administration, we will face renewed attacks on our mission.
But mark these words: We will never back down and will never stop providing the care our patients need. In addition to the threats we anticipate to access to reproductive health care, we recognize the threats to the safety and dignity of people of color, immigrants, and LGBTQ people – to our patients, our staff, our neighbors, and our communities. We will do everything in our power to fight this hatred.
What can you do right now if you care about Planned Parenthood of New York City and the communities we serve? Here's what we suggest:
1. Sign Up for Emails and Alerts and Follow Us @PPNYCAction
Join Planned Parenthood of NYC Action Fund’s email network to stay on top of the issues and learn how you can support us and our partners.
Show on social media that you reject hate and refuse to let the Trump administration roll back the rights we’ve fought so hard to secure. Tweet your defiance with #WeWontGoBack. Follow us @PPNYCAction on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram to stay in the loop.
2. Support Our Work
Our doors will continue to stay open to everyone, no matter what. Your support helps so much.
- Donate to support Planned Parenthood of New York City: Our five health centers – one in each borough – are open, and they are continuing to deliver vital, high-quality reproductive health care. We have already seen a huge surge in appointments as New Yorkers are worried they may lose access to birth control.
- Learn about Planned Parenthood of New York City Action Fund. Help strengthen advocacy and organize for reproductive health and rights including access to sex education; health care; and safe, legal abortion.
3. Speak Out Against Hate
Declare your rejection of hate and your solidarity with the communities President Trump has attacked. He has tried to ban refugees and limit travel for people from predominantly Muslim countries, including permanent residents of the US. This is unacceptable. At PPNYC, our community is made of immigrants and refugees – they are our supporters, staff, patients, and activists. We encourage you to stand with us in denouncing attacks on them by following our friends at @TheNYIC, @CAIRNewYork, and @MakeTheRoadNY to learn about upcoming actions.
And here's a list of local and national groups supporting solidarity with intersecting communities and building power among the communities that Trump has already targeted:
- Make the Road New York: Help build the power of Latinx and working class communities to achieve dignity and justice through organizing, policy innovation, transformative education, and survival services.
- VOCAL New York: Help build power among people affected by HIV/AIDS, drug use, and mass incarceration to create healthy and just communities.
- New York Civil Liberties Union: Defend civil liberties and civil rights for all people.
- National Latina Institute for Reproductive Health: Help build Latina power to guarantee the fundamental human right to reproductive health, dignity and justice.
- New York Immigration Coalition: Support immigrant leadership and engage in collective action for New York’s diverse immigrant communities.
- The Audre Lorde Project: Support community organizing by LGBTQ people of color. "Through mobilization, education and capacity-building, we work for community wellness and progressive social and economic justice."
- National Asian Pacific American Women's Forum: Support civil rights, economic justice, education access, health care access, and immigrant and refugee rights for AAPI women.
- YWCA: Support work to eliminate racism, empower women, and stand up for social justice.
- The Door: Empower young people to reach their potential by providing comprehensive development services.
- Fight for $15 Coalition: Stand with workers who have come together to fight for fair wages and the right to form a union without retaliation.
- Sylvia Rivera Law Project: Help guarantee that all people are free to self-determine gender identity and expression, regardless of income or race, and without facing harassment, discrimination or violence.
- Girls for Gender Equity: Support the physical, psychological, social, and economic development of girls and women.
- New York Abortion Access Fund: Help fund abortions as part of the fight for reproductive justice for all.
- Third Wave Fund: Help ensure young women of color, queer, trans, and intersex youth of color and low-income youth are decision-makers in Gender Justice philanthropy where they are often absent.
- Our100.org: Take a stand with 100 women of color leaders.
- Trust Black Women: Report anti-abortion activity in the Black community to SisterSong and a Trust Black Women partner.
For additional groups, see www.ppnycaction.org/takeaction
4. Oppose Extremist Lawmakers' Attacks on Planned Parenthood
Planned Parenthood is under attack like never before. The federal government is now in the hands of extremist lawmakers who have tried for years to shut down Planned Parenthood health centers and cut our patients off from care. They are trying to deny millions of patients access to cancer screenings, birth control, HIV testing, and more.
Tell these extremists you're a part of the overwhelming majority that opposes attacking Planned Parenthood health centers, and find out what else you can do to stand with Planned Parenthood.
5. Get Involved – Attend Events and Become an Activist
You can support Planned Parenthood of New York City with your time and energy:
- Attend an event to show your support and learn about the issues affecting our communities.
- If you’re in college, join Planned Parenthood Generation Action and become a leader in the movement.
- Learn about Planned Parenthood of New York City Action Fund's Activist Council and complete our online application here to join the Activist Council!
6. Host a Fundraiser to Support Our Work
There are endless ways you can support PPNYC. If you’re planning an event to benefit our work, please fill out this form so we can determine the best way to support your event: bit.ly/PPNYCbenefit.
7. Make an Appointment for Health Care at PPNYC
Our doors are continuing to stay open. Like always, every person is welcome to get health care at our centers, no matter what. You can support PPNYC by making your next reproductive health care appointment at one of our five New York City health centers.
8. Become a Better Advocate by Visiting the Training Institute
Visit the Training Institute to learn about sexual and reproductive health topics! These trainings are suitable for health care professionals and educators, as well as anyone who wants to learn about healthy sexuality.
9. Share Your Story
Tell us about why you stand with Planned Parenthood by emailing [email protected]. You can share anonymously or use your name – whatever is most comfortable for you! We can then figure out the best way to amplify your story.
Of course, these are just a few things you can do now. The opportunities to get involved and fight back won’t end here. Not even close. In this time of uncertainty, you can be sure that there will be more ways to take meaningful action in the days ahead. Thank you for standing with us.