Planned Parenthood of Nassau County Receives Komen Greater NYC Grant to Help Women of Color on Long Island Prevent Breast Cancer
Hempstead, NY—The Greater New York City Affiliate of Susan G. Komen for the Cure® has awarded a $100,000 grant to Planned Parenthood of Nassau County (PPNC) to underwrite the breast cancer prevention activities of Sisters United in Health/Hermanas Unidas en la Salud.
“I am so thrilled with our ongoing partnership with Komen Greater NYC in our shared mission of helping at-risk women access screening services, mammograms, and breast health education. Long Island has a disproportionately high incidence of breast cancer and of breast cancer mortalities, especially among women of color, making Sisters United in Health a very important initiative,” said JoAnn Smith, PPNC’s President & CEO.
PPNC spearheaded the formation of Sisters United in Health in 2001 to promote breast cancer awareness among women of color. Today, this coalition of 16 community-based organizations is leading the charge on Long Island to reach out to minority women to inform them of the importance of breast self-awareness and annual mammograms, and to link them to affordable, culturally-appropriate screening services.
Sisters United in Health currently has two full-time educators who are responsible for reaching 5,000 women a year to provide information about breast cancer prevention and detection through workshops, community outreach and health fairs; whenever possible, these women are also provided with referrals and follow-up to make sure that they receive affordable breast cancer screening services. This work is coordinated under the supervision of the Adelphi NY Statewide Breast Cancer Hotline and Support Program, another of the coalition’s partners.
Susan G. Komen for the Cure is the world’s largest breast cancer organization, and the Greater New York City Affiliate is number one out of the 125 Affiliates on the front lines dedicated to ending breast cancer in their communities. Komen Affiliates fund innovative programs that help women and men overcome the cultural, educational and financial barriers to breast cancer screening and treatment.
Komen Greater NYC has generously funded Sisters United in Health for the past seven years, allowing the coalition to reach more than 50,000 minority women on Long Island.
“At the Komen Greater NYC Affiliate, we conducted a needs assessment of our community and discovered the lack of support services to underserved minority women diagnosed with breast cancer on Long Island,” said Anita R. McFarlane, MPH, Komen Greater NYC Director of Grants & Public Policy. “We are confident that through the Sisters United in Health/Hermanas Unidas in la Salud program’s interventions, underserved minority women diagnosed with breast cancer, will receive the support services that they need and deserve.”
Above: Sisters United in Health coalition members
Planned Parenthood of Nassau County (PPNC) is one of 79 affiliates of Planned Parenthood Federation of America and operates 3 health centers in Hempstead, Glen Cove and Massapequa. In 2011, PPNC provided preventive health services to more than 13,000 patients during 23,000 visits. We conducted education workshops, street outreach and prevention programs to over 36,000 community members, and mobilized 7,500 advocates to protect reproductive health care rights. PPNC has served the community for 79 years, and is dedicated to educating and empowering individuals to make responsible choices regarding their sexuality and sexual health. For more information about PPNC’s services and programs, visit www.ppnc.org.
About Susan G. Komen for the Cure® and the Komen Greater New York City Affiliate:
Nancy G. Brinker promised her dying sister, Susan G. Komen, she would do everything in her power to end breast cancer forever, and in 1982, that promise became Susan G. Komen for the Cure. The Greater New York City Affiliate is part of the world’s largest and most progressive grassroots network fighting breast cancer. Through events like the Komen Greater New York City Race for the Cure®, Komen Greater NYC has invested $3.0 million in community breast cancer programs in New York City, Long Island, Westchester and Rockland Counties. Up to 75 percent of net proceeds generated by the Affiliate stays in the greater New York City metropolitan area. The remaining 25 percent funds national breast cancer research. In 2012, Komen Greater NYC invested $1.4 million in research to find the cures. For more information, call 212-293-CURE or visit www.komennyc.org.