Go to Content Go to Navigation Go to Navigation Go to Site Search Homepage

Hempstead, NY—The Greater New York City Affiliate of Susan G. Komen for the Cure® has awarded a $97,600 grant to Planned Parenthood of Nassau County (PPNC) to underwrite the breast cancer prevention activities of Sisters United in Health/Hermanas Unidas en la Salud.

Susan G. Komen for the Cure is the world’s largest breast cancer organization, and the Greater New York City Affiliate is one of 125 Affiliates on the front lines dedicated to ending breast cancer in their communities. Komen Affiliates fund innovative programs that help women and men overcome the cultural, social, educational and financial barriers to breast cancer screening and treatment.

PPNC spearheaded the formation of Sisters United in Health in 2001 to promote breast cancer awareness among women of color. Today, this coalition of 14 community-based organizations is leading the charge on Long Island to reach out to minority women to inform them of the importance of breast self-awareness and annual mammograms, and to link them to affordable, culturally-appropriate screening services. 

Sisters United in Health currently has three educators who are responsible for reaching more than 10,000 women a year through workshops, community outreach, and health fairs; whenever possible, these women are also provided with referrals and follow-up to make sure that they receive affordable breast cancer screening services. This work is coordinated under the supervision of the Adelphi NY Statewide Breast Cancer Hotline and Support Program, another of the coalition’s partners.

“I am so thrilled that we will be able to continue helping at-risk women access screening services, mammograms, and information on how to prevent breast cancer. Nassau County has a disproportionately high incidence of breast cancer and of breast cancer mortalities, especially among women of color, which is why Sisters United in Health is such an important initiative,” said JoAnn Smith, PPNC’s President & CEO.

Komen Greater NYC has generously funded Sisters United in Health for the past five years, allowing the coalition to reach more than 40,000 minority women on Long Island.


About Planned Parenthood of Nassau County
Planned Parenthood of Nassau County (PPNC) is one of 89 affiliates of Planned Parenthood Federation of America and operates 3 health centers in Nassau County. In 2009, PPNC provided services to more than 13,000 patients during 26,000 visits. We conducted education workshops and street outreach to 32,000 teens and families, and mobilized approximately 5,500 advocates to protect reproductive health care rights.  PPNC has served the community for 77 years, and is dedicated to educating and empowering individuals to make responsible choices regarding their sexuality and sexual health. For more information about PPNC’s services and programs, visit www.ppnc.org. About Susan G. Komen for the Cure® and the Komen Greater New York City Affiliate
Nancy G. Brinker promised her dying sister, Susan G. Komen, she would do everything in her power to end breast cancer forever, and in 1982, that promise became Susan G. Komen for the Cure. The Greater New York City Affiliate is part of the world’s largest and most progressive grassroots network fighting breast cancer. Through events like the Komen Greater New York City Race for the Cure®, Komen Greater NYC has invested nearly $60 million in life-saving breast cancer programs in the five boroughs of New York City, on Long Island, and in Westchester and Rockland Counties. Komen Greater NYC distributes 75% of its net income to fund local community-based breast health education, screening and treatment programs and clinical trials enrollment. The remaining 25% funds national research to find the cures. For more information, call 212-560-9590 or visit www.komennyc.org.


Planned Parenthood of Nassau County, Inc.


Kate Bernhard, Community Affairs Associate
Phone: 516-750-2661
Fax: 516-483-3592
E-mail: [email protected]


May 17, 2011