Planned Parenthood provides health services, education programs and information resources to teens about relationships, sexuality and sexual health. Teens can visit our health centers for confidential care including access to birth control and pregnancy and STD testing.
Through the power of peer education, using accurate, unbiased sexuality education, Teen Council will end ignorance, promote tolerance, and improve communication between teens and the important people in their lives.
WHO WE ARE
Teen Council is made up of a diverse voluntary student body from local schools. Members come to the group with different beliefs and viewpoints. No one is expected to already know about sexual health and prevention issues. We strive to create a Council that is strong and varied in its membership and work actively to build a group that is anti-racist, anti-sexist, and anti-homophobic.
There is a Teen Council in Whatcom County, and one in Skagit County.
WHAT TEEN COUNCIL MEMBERS DO
- We create peer to peer dialog.
- We educate as presenters on topics such as HIV/AIDS, harassment, healthy relationships, delaying sex, family communication, multi-cultural awareness, and more!
- We act as resources by sharing sexual health information with friends and peers.
- We participate in weekly meetings and trainings to increase knowledge and skills.
- We are part of the solution, while connecting others to this important work.
TO BECOME A MEMBER OF TEEN COUNCIL
Applicants must be:
- Entering 10th, 11th or 12th grade (during their participation year)
- Able to attend an annual mandatory overnight retreat in late summer
- Able to commit to weekly meetings and occasionally miss school for presentations (about one day/month)
Applications are accepted throughout the year for available spots in the following year’s group.
Online application available here: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/TCApp2017
FINAL APPLICATION DEADLINE FOR TEEN COUNCIL 2017: April 30, 2017
Interviews will take place at the end of May.
FOR MORE INFORMATION ABOUT TEEN COUNCIL:
Contact: [email protected]