What is an in-clinic abortion?
Abortion is an in-clinic procedure that ends a pregnancy. In-clinic abortion procedures are safe and effective.
There are a couple of kinds of in-clinic abortion procedures. Your health care provider will know which type is right for you, depending on how far you are into your pregnancy.
Please note: Only our DC Health Center offers in-clinic abortion services.
Before your in-clinic abortion procedure
In-clinic abortion is offered up to 20 weeks after the start of your last menstrual period.
Plan to visit the health center for 4 to 6 hours for an in-clinic abortion. Times may increase depending on how many weeks have passed since your last menstrual period.
If you desire sedation to help make the procedure more comfortable, you MUST have a support person with you to help you get home safely. Sedation will automatically be administered to any patients measuring over 14 weeks since their last menstrual period. All patients receiving sedation must be accompanied by a support person.
- If you plan to have sedation and are over 18 weeks pregnant, please do not eat or drink clear liquids for 2 hours before your appointment. Patients under 18 weeks pregnant can have a light meal before their appointment.
- If you have asthma, bring an inhaler if you have one.
- Please do not bring children with you to the health center.
- If you take any medications, please continue to take these medications normally before your appointment. Let the clinician or nurse know about any medications you take.
When you come to the health center
You will receive the following services during your visit to our Washington, D.C. office: a transvaginal or abdominal ultrasound, lab work, an education session and birth control consultation, the procedure and recovery time.
- Please dress comfortably, bring pads, and wear comfortable underwear.
- Eat a light meal before your visit if you are under 18 weeks pregnant.
- Please expect to be in our office for 4 to 6 hours. There will be many steps in your visit.
During your visit, you may be given the following:
- a pregnancy test
- a chance to speak with a trained staff person about all of your choices: abortion, adoption, and parenting
- a conversation with the health care provider about your health history
- lab tests/blood work
- a pelvic exam
- an ultrasound
- medications to make the abortion more comfortable
- medication if you are Rh negative
- antibiotics or other medications
- birth control information
- a birth control method
Payment is due at the time of service. We only accept cash, Visa, MasterCard, Discover, and American Express. We do not accept checks.
Please bring your health insurance card with you, even if you are not planning on using it for the procedure. It can be used for birth control, STI screenings and other lab tests. You have to bring proof of insurance if you are using it for your visit. We recommend contacting your insurance company directly to confirm your eligibility and benefits. Co-pays, deductibles, and co-insurances are due at the time of your appointment. Please bring a referral if your insurance requires one to pay for your visit.