MEMPHIS, TN – Planned Parenthood Greater Memphis Region (PPGMR) is proud to participate in a nationwide campaign during the month of April in the “GYT: Get Yourself Tested” campaign, designed to increase testing and treatment for sexually transmitted infections.
The GYT campaign is a public information partnership between the Planned Parenthood Federation of America, MTV, the Kaiser Family Foundation and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), designed to address high rates of sexually transmitted infections (STIs) among young people in the U.S. According to the CDC, half of all young men and women will get a sexually transmitted disease by age 25. Untreated infections can cause infertility and life-threatening complications.
In order to raise awareness and encourage testing, PPGMR has planned a number of free testing and community education events during the month of April.
• Free STI Testing Day—Wednesday, April 17, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. at Planned Parenthood’s health center, 2430 Poplar Avenue. Free testing for men and women for chlamydia, gonorrhea and HIV. No appointment is needed.
• Free HIV testing—Mondays, 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. at GetWell Community Clinic, 3055 Watson Street, Memphis, TN 38118.
• Free Sexpert Peer Educator Training for currently enrolled college students only—April 2nd and 3rd, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at Planned Parenthood, 2430 Poplar Avenue. To RSVP, email [email protected].
• Free HIV testing—Wednesdays, 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. at Caritas Village, 2509 Harvard Avenue, Memphis, TN 38112.
• Free HIV testing—Thursdays, 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. at GetWell Community Clinic, 3055 Watson Street, Memphis, TN 38118.
• Free workshop: Abstinence 101 for Teens—Tuesday, April 16th, 4 p.m. to 5 p.m. at Raleigh Public Library Branch, 3157 Powers Road, Memphis, TN 38128.
• Free Sexpert Peer Educator Training for currently enrolled college students only—April 18th and 19th, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at Planned Parenthood, 2430 Poplar Avenue. To RSVP, email [email protected].
• Free workshop: Condom Use 101 for Teens—Tuesday, April 23rd, 4 p.m. to 5 p.m. at Raleigh Public Library Branch, 3157 Powers Road, Memphis, TN 38128
• Free HIV Testing and Awareness Event—Friday, April 26th, 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the University of Memphis, University Center Beale Room.
For more information about these free testing and education events, visit the website,
Planned Parenthood Greater Memphis Region (PPGMR), founded in 1938, is an affiliate of Planned Parenthood Federation of America. PPGMR’s mission is to ensure broad public access to reproductive and related health care through clinic services, education, advocacy and community partnerships in serving 42 counties in West Tennessee, North Mississippi and East Arkansas.
Director of Community Affairs
April 01, 2013