Planned Parenthood

Mar Monte

Common Questions

Expand All

What do I need to do now?

If you have health insurance from your employer, you should follow their instructions to continue that coverage.

If you do not currently have health insurance, prepare for open enrollment, which runs from November 15, 2014 through February 15, 2015. You should begin researching which health care coverage is best for you by using the following websites: 

Note: If you are participating in Deferred Action (DACA) and are income-eligible, you can participate in Medi-Cal.

What should I bring to my Covered California or Medi-Cal appointment to enroll?

  • Proof of Citizenship or Legal resident status: Birth certificate, Green Card, U.S. passport or Naturalization Certificate for EACH person you want to enroll.
  • Social Security Number for EACH person you want to enroll. (Bring the SSN care, if you have it.)
  • Proof of Income: Pay stub, letter from your employer stating your wages.
  • Federal Income Tax Forms: 2013 tax form(s) you filed last year.
  • Proof that you live in California: CA driver’s license, utility bill.
  • If pregnant, proof of pregnancy from a medical provider or clinic. A home pregnancy test is not adequate.

What if I am an undocumented immigrant?

If you are undocumented, you will not be able to enroll in Covered CA or Full Scope Medi-Cal. You might be eligible for restricted/emergency Medi-Cal on a case-by-case basis.  There are other state programs that continue to offer some coverage like FPACT.

Undocumented women who are pregnant and earn 139%-213% of the FPL (Federal Poverty Level), are eligible for preganacy related services and restricted/emergency Medi-Cal.

Undocumented women who are pregnant and earn 214%-266% of the FPL (Federal Poverty Level), are eligible for AIM benefits.

Planned Parenthood is here to serve you.

I am covered by Medi-Cal/Family PACT now. Will that change?

No. If you already qualify for Medi-Cal or FPACT, you will continue to qualify after health care reform. Many people in FPACT will now qualify for more services either through Medi-Cal or Covered California. You need to enroll.

If I don't have health insurance now, how will health care reform affect me?

If you do not have health insurance now, you will need to get health coverage or you will be facing a fine. Look at your options based upon your family size and income.

If I already have health insurance, how will health care reform affect me?

If you already have health insurance that you pay for yourself, you may be able to get financial help for these costs. Health care reform also means insurance companies must provide minimum coverage, called ‘essential benefits’, such as birth control and well visits with no co-pay.

If you have health insurance from your employer, you should follow their instructions to continue that coverage.

If you are paying more than 9.5 percent of your income (or your family’s income) on health insurance for yourself, you may be able to get financial assistance through Covered California.

Can anyone get health care coverage?

Anyone who is a legal resident of California can get health care coverage through Medi-Cal or Covered California. If you are not a legal resident, you may still be able to get reproductive care through Family PACT. 

Do I have to buy health insurance?

If you do not already have some form of medical coverage - such as Medi-Cal; Family Planning, Access, Care, and Treatment (FPACT) program; insurance from your employer; or private insurance you bought yourself you will be required to have health insurance beginning in January 2014. If you do not, you will have to pay a penalty to the federal government. 

In 2014, the penalty will be 1 percent of your income or $95 - whichever is higher. That amount will increase to 2 percent or $325 in 2015, and 2.5 percent or $695 in 2016.

How much will it cost to buy health insurance?

You may qualify for Medi-Cal which is no cost to you. If not, the cost for health insurance will depend on which type of insurance you choose to buy and whether you qualify for tax credits or subsidies. Those with lower incomes are more likely to receive financial help. For detailed comparison of insurance options click here.

What if I can’t afford to buy health care coverage?

If you cannot afford to buy health care coverage, it is likely that you will be covered by Medi-Cal, or are eligible for financial help. If not, it is still important that you get some level of health insurance. The cost to you otherwise, if an unexpected medical condition or accident happened, could be much more expensive than buying health coverage.

What’s the easiest way for me to compare health plans?

If you qualify for Medi-Cal, each county has different plan choices. As you enroll, you will be provided additional information when a comparison is available. Please note that under Medi-Cal you are allowed to come to Planned Parenthood Mar Monte for your reproductive health services even if Planned Parenthood is not in the Medi-Cal plan.

For those who are buying health insurance through Covered California, there will be four basic levels of coverage; platinum, gold, silver, and bronze. You can choose to pay more monthly and less at your medical appointments, or you can pay less monthly and more at your medical appointments.

You can go to Covered California’s calculator now to compare coverage options and choose the best one for you and sign up for that plan during open enrollment (Nov 15, 2014 - Feb 15, 2015). There are Certified Enrollment Specialists who will be available to assist you. 

What if my income changes?

If your income changes, your health coverage may change as well. Be sure to contact Covered California within 30 days if this occurs to avoid fines at tax time.

If you were covered by Medi-Cal and your income goes above $16,105 if you are single, or $32,913 if you have a family of four, you will no longer receive Medi-Cal assistance. But you will be able to apply for affordable health coverage through the insurance marketplace, Covered California. You may also receive tax credits or subsidies.

What if I do not qualify for Medi-Cal or Covered California options?

Planned Parenthood is here for you. FPACT is still available to you for family planning and reproductive health services. Planned Parenthood Mar Monte offers a sliding scale depending upon your income.

  • tumblr icon
  • google plus icon
  • twitter icon
Common Questions