At PPMM, we're committed to cultivating inclusive and respectful spaces within our health centers, our workplaces and in the communities we serve.
As a trusted health advisor, it is important that we not only lead in helping curb the spread of COVID-19 (coronavirus), but also that we work to dismantle myths and stigmas surrounding this disease and virus. Outbreaks have often been wrongfully attributed to marginalized groups – this can result in racist discourse, discrimination and harassment. It is imperative that we equip ourselves with the facts and refrain from perpetuating harmful biases and stereotypes.
Please keep in mind:
- Viruses do not target people from specific populations, ethnicities or racial backgrounds.
- Wearing a mask does not mean a person is ill.
- You can interrupt myths and stigma by sharing accurate information.
- Be cautious of the images you share regarding COVID-19. Evaluate whether they may reinforce stereotypes or single out specific communities.
- Speak up if you hear, see or read misinformation or witness or experience harassment or discrimination.
With sincere appreciation,
Stacy Cross and the Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Executive Committee
P.S. Be sure to check out our website for specific measures you can take to protect yourself and loved ones.Make an Emergency Donation to PPMM Today