• Feminizing Hormone Therapy, including estrogen and spironolactone
• Masculinizing Hormone Therapy, including testosterone
We work with transgender and gender-expansive patients, including people with binary (male or female) and non-binary genders. We may be able to start or continue hormone therapy and provide referrals for gender affirming therapy, surgeries and community resources if needed.
Who can obtain Gender Affirming Hormone Therapy with us:
Anyone 18 and older who is able to provide consent
Follow-up schedule: If you’re starting gender affirming hormone therapy, you’ll have an initial appointment and lab work.
• After that we must see you either in person or via Telehealth for 3 months, 6 months, and 12 months for lab work and follow-up.
• We may make changes to your medications based on your feedback and lab results.
• If everything is stable and you’re happy with your medications, after your 12 month visit we must see you once yearly for a follow-up appointment and labs, unless you’d like to come in sooner.
We are happy to help you with other aspects of gender care and gender affirmation, if these are things you’re interested in:
• Name/gender marker change letters: We recommend the Transgender Law Center’s state-by-state guide to changing legal identity documents. We can provide a letter saying that your gender is your gender for your court process and passport application.
• Information on surgery: You can schedule an appointment with us to discuss gender affirming surgeries and procedures. We can help you navigate those processes and write letters for your insurance plan. For some surgeries you need a letter from a therapist and a letter from a hormone prescriber. For others you’ll need 3 letters: one from a mental health professional with a PhD or other doctoral degree, one from a therapist, and one from a hormone prescriber.
• Information on hair removal: We can provide you a letter for the removal of unwanted hair.
• Insurance: Most hair removal locations do not accept insurance but may have payment plans. You can call your insurance and ask if they have any contracted locations offering electrolysis or laser hair removal when medically necessary. If you find a hair removal location that accepts your insurance, we can help you seek authorization for coverage.
• Surgery: If you are seeking hair removal to prepare for a gender-affirming surgery, it is helpful to have a consultation with a surgeon before initiating hair removal to learn about the process and create a timeline with your surgeon.
• Fertility resources: Fertility preservation (sperm and egg banking) is not usually covered by insurance at this time, but we can discuss fertility with you and share options for fertility preservation.
• Vocal coaching: This is not covered by insurance at this time, but we can provide you with contact info for gender affirming vocal coaching, as well as a letter if necessary.