- Planned Parenthood of Kansas and Mid-Missouri has provided access to reproductive health care to women and families since 1935.
- The caring and professional medical staff at PPKM consists of certified nurse practitioners, licensed physicians and registered nurses. PPKM offers confidential reproductive health services to all individuals including those with health insurance, on Medicaid or uninsured patients.
- PPKM currently provides reproductive health care services in 6 health centers, one of which provides abortion services. Our health centers are located in the KC metro area, Columbia, Missouri; and Wichita, Kansas.
- During 2014, our health centers provided 30,296 visits for comprehensive reproductive health services to 20,134 persons. Forty-six percent of health care visits are for patients with incomes at or below 150 percent of the federal poverty level.
- PPKM provides comprehensive, age-appropriate sexuality education to more than 10,000 participants each year. Our education programs promote responsible behavior and honest communication with peers, parents and adults. Teens are given information about how to deal with social pressure and are given medically accurate information about contraception. Programs offer a variety of interactive sexuality education presentations to schools, churches and community groups on a broad range of topics.
- Wise Guys: a Male Responsibility Program. This multi-session program is designed to reduce teen pregnancy by working with young men ages 13-18.
- Mother/Daughter workshops. We currently offer two workshops designed to increase and improve communication between girls and their mothers about sexuality-related topics. The workshops are geared toward 8-15 year old girls.
Planned Parenthood is a leading advocate for the reproductive rights of women and men in Kansas and Missouri. PPAKM,
- Maintains professional lobbying programs in Topeka and Jefferson City.
- Monitors federal, state and local legislation and analyzes its effects on PPKM and our clients.
- Informs supporters about proposed legislation and encourages contact with their legislators. Recruits, trains and supports volunteers to work in a variety of advocacy roles.
- Educates the public about Planned Parenthood issues through a variety of events and media.
Important local facts
- Planned Parenthood is in the PREVENTION business. On average, 90% of the services provided are family planning services that focus on the prevention of unintended pregnancies–which often end in abortion.
- In a given year, 93% of abortions at PPKM occur in the first 12 weeks of pregnancy. Our opponents focus on late abortions creating a misconception that most abortions are performed at later gestational stages.
- Planned Parenthood works tirelessly to block legislation that restricts access to sex education, contraceptives and abortion.
- To conduct more in-depth advocacy efforts, PPKM created the Planned Parenthood Advocates of Kansas and Mid-Missouri (PPAKM), a sister corporation of PPKM. PPAKM is organized under IRS Section 501(c)4. This classification allows the Advocates to engage in some political activities and make additional lobbying expenditures that would not be allowed under PPKM’s 501(c)3 tax status. In exchange, contributions to the Advocates corporation are not tax deductible—although the corporation itself is tax-exempt.
- Planned Parenthood raises revenue from individual donors, foundations and corporations. In 2014, more than $1 million was raised in charitable dollars from more than 3,500 donors, including health center patients. This accounted for 18.8% of PPKM’s 2014 annual revenue.
- In 2014, we connected volunteers to 2,027 positions where 5,472 hours of service were performed. The estimated dollar value of volunteer time was nearly $123,393.60, based on the Independent Sector’s volunteer hourly rate of $22.55 for 2013.
- Planned Parenthood of Kansas and Mid-Missouri is an affiliate of Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA).
- For a century, Planned Parenthood has been one of the nation’s leading providers of high-quality, affordable health care for women, men and young people, and the nation’s largest provider of sex education.
- PPFA’s 62 affiliates and approximately 700 health centers throughout American constitute the largest private health care system in the United States.
- Every year, Planned Parenthood health centers provide health care and education to nearly three million patients.