Reports to: Online Marketing and Communications Specialist
Function: The Digital and Social Media Intern will work in a fast paced and dynamic environment within the Communications and Marketing Departments. This internship runs for a semester or up to six months. Firm start and end dates are dependent on the prospective intern’s schedule and the needs of the organization. This intern works to support Planned Parenthood of Indiana and Kentucky, a 501(c)(3) organization, in its health care, education, and advocacy work. The Digital and Social Media Intern will engage in little to no legislative or policy work.
Location: Downtown Indianapolis
Time commitment: 15-20 hours per week
Compensation: This is an unpaid position, but parking is reimbursed.
Email completed internship application, cover letter, and resume to [email protected]. Include the name of the position you're applying for (“C3 Digital and Social Media Internship”) in the email subject line.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Social media
- Draft and schedule posts for PPINK’s Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram accounts using scheduling software. Draft posts for other platforms and PPINK’s website, as needed.
- Create images, infographics, and other visual representations of quotes and data to share on PPINK’s social media platforms.
- Research reproductive health and justice topics and prepare posts about breaking news in these fields.
- Monitor notifications and performance metrics for PPINK’s social media accounts and use these data to improve campaign and account performance over time.
- Be an eager and active participant in developing PPINK’s social media strategy, ready to suggest tactics and learn from mistakes.
- Keep abreast of social and digital media trends to enhance PPINK’s social media presence.
- Assist the Online Marketing and Communications Specialist with live social media coverage of PPINK events.
- Website management
- Update information on PPINK’s website (ppink.org) promptly and with close attention to detail.
- Publish press releases as part of PPINK’s response to breaking news.
- Work with the Communications team to develop PPINK’s online presence and manage a robust, interactive website.
- Monitor analytics and other metrics for PPINK’s website and use them to improve performance.
- Other duties, as needed.
- Digital media
- Brainstorm and research ways to use digital media to work toward PPINK’s mission in health care, education, and advocacy.
- Implement tactics to improve the patient experience and as well as PPINK’s education and advocacy through the use of digital tools.
- Internal communications
- Assist with preparing and distributing internal newsletters and other communications, as needed.
- Ensure charts, lists, and other internal communications materials are up-to-date and accessible.
- Assist with marketing projects as needed. Projects change often and could involve conducting research, writing copy, helping with graphic design, or other tasks.
- Other duties, as needed
- Could include administrative work, organizing and distributing supplies, etc.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform essential duties satisfactorily. The qualifications listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. It’s unlikely that one candidate will embody every skill listed, but they give an idea of a qualified candidate’s strengths. Reasonable accommodations shall be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Candidates must be committed to the mission and vision of Planned Parenthood of Indiana and Kentucky.
Education and/or Experience:
Candidates should be:
- Pursuing a Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field, OR
- Have relevant work, internship, or volunteer experience.
Familiarity with Planned Parenthood of Indiana and Kentucky’s work and mission, as well as a passion or interest in reproductive health, rights, and justice preferred. Proficiency in Adobe InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, and/or graphic design is a plus. Working knowledge of the legislative process and familiarity with politics are a plus. Ability to maintain a high level of professionalism and discretion is mandatory. Candidate must be extremely detail oriented, organized, and possess meticulous data management/research skills along with excellent verbal/written communication skills, critical thinking skills, and ability to work in a team setting as well as be self-directed. Excellent grammar is a plus, as is familiarity with AP Style. Experience or proficiency in photography, audio, and/or video production is also a plus.
Professionalism: Displays appropriate attitude, actions, and work attire for the position. Maintains work area in a neat and professional manner. Is committed to professional growth and demonstrates commitment, integrity, dedication and positive behavior. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in various formats required. Ability to multi-task and to work effectively under pressure due to conflicting demands is required. Must be flexible, highly organized, creative, and detail-oriented with the ability to set and meet deadlines.
Teamwork: Able to gain cooperation from others and work collaboratively towards solutions that generally benefit all involved parties. Proactively identifies opportunities to assist others and ensures that information is communicated accurately and timely across departments as needed.
Confidentiality: Able to maintain confidentiality of Planned Parenthood of Indiana and Kentucky business/activities on and away from the job. Travel across Indiana and Kentucky may be required.