Hormone therapy. Hormones may be prescribed to make the body more feminine or more masculine. Because the effects of hormone therapy may be permanent, it is important to discuss options and desired effects with a health care provider.
Hormone therapy may include:
Feminizing medications. Estradiol and Progestin preparations
Anti-androgen medications. Spironolactone, Finasteride and Minoxidil
Masculinizing Medications. Testosterone preparations
Hormone therapy plan and ongoing care
Care planning includes an examination and treatment planning by a team consisting of an advanced practice nurse and licensed clinical social worker.
Initial visit. Examination and lab work plus discussion of treatment goals and expectations, side effects, and risks of therapy with an advanced practice nurse and clinical social worker.
Second visit. Review of lab results, and prescription for hormone therapy.
Ongoing visits. Two to four times per year to monitor health, address goals, review medications and update lab testing as needed.
Transgender hormone therapy is available at the below health centers.
Call 1-877-200-PPIL to make an appointment today!
- Planned Parenthood Aurora Health Center
- Planned Parenthood Austin Health Center
- Planned Parenthood Bloomington Health Center
- Planned Parenthood Champaign Health Center
- Planned Parenthood Decatur Health Center
- Planned Parenthood Near North Health Center
- Planned Parenthood Pekin Health Center
- Planned Parenthood Peoria Health Center
- Planned Parenthood Rogers Park Health Center
- Planned Parenthood Springfield Health Center
Other healthcare services offered at all 16 PPIL health centers:
Well-person screenings and exams
Treatment for infections
Contraception and menstruation management
Abortion services and counseling
Sexually transmitted infection testing and treatment
Licensed clinical social worker services
Screening for reproductive cancers
PrEP for HIV prevention