PPHP’s Education and Training Department offers educational programs designed to provide accurate, unbiased information about issues related to human sexuality. A small fee is charged. Our programs are developed to best meet the community’s needs, highlighting the issues you think are most relevant. We work with schools and organizations to create a curriculum tailored to your educational goals. Our staff of expert Educator/Trainers offers a broad array of educational programs on a host of topics, including:
- Contraception/Family Planning–Presents methods of birth control. Demonstration/Discussion of prescription and non-prescription contraceptive methods including abstinence/postponement.
- Decision-Making/Communication Skills—Teaches the skills necessary to make healthy decisions as well as how to communicate them in the face of peer pressure.
- GLBTQ Issues—Defines sexual orientation and dispels stereotypes about gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender and questioning people.
- Healthy Relationships – Exercises and discussion aimed at increasing awareness of male/female expectations, feelings, perspectives and communication.
- HIV/AIDS –Gives participants a basic understanding of HIV and AIDS. HIV transmission and prevention are discussed.
- Safer Sex—Addresses contraceptives, sexually transmitted diseases and HIV with emphasis on communication skills between partners.
- Planned Parenthood Services – Reviews medical services offered by PPHP.
- Abstinence/Postponing Sexual Involvement –Presents sexual abstinence as a positive choice. Promotes awareness of pressures faced by teens making decisions about sexual activity.
- Puberty – Introduces, explains and demystifies changes that occur during puberty. Aimed at helping young people recognize similarities and differences between male and female physical and emotional development.
- Reproductive Anatomy & Physiology—Reviews male and female reproductive anatomy, providing a foundation for other programs such as STIs or Contraception/Family Planning.
- Sexually Transmitted Infections (STIs)–Explains the most common sexually transmitted infections and their modes of transmission, symptoms, treatment, and prevention.
- Women’s/Men’s Health – Emphasis on self and preventive lifetime reproductive health care. Discussion about the need for regular reproductive health checkups including gynecological and testicular exams, as well as the importance of a healthy lifestyle.
Recent research in conjunction with the National Campaign to Prevent Teen Pregnancy has shown that programs and interventions lasting for 14 hours or longer are most effective in reducing teenage pregnancy. Offering a series of programs also allows PPHP to develop a relationship with the target population, earn their respect as a trustworthy and non-judgmental resource, and adapt the program to their specific needs/issues. We offer a program series known as our Gold Standard Series, which can be customized to meet the needs of your school, agency or community group. You can choose from among the topics listed below and create your own program to address the needs of the population you serve or represent.
The ten-session series includes the following topics:
- Planned Parenthood® Services
- Puberty/Reproductive Anatomy & Physiology
- Contraception/Family Planning
- STIs; Healthy Relationships
- Women’s/Men’s Health
- Safer Sex
- GLBTQ Issues
- Decision-Making/Communication Skills
SMART TALK WORKSHOPS: RAISING HEALTHY KIDS
We offer workshops for parents/caregivers to address questions and concerns about raising sexually-healthy children, reaching developmental milestones, and discussing sexual issues with their children. The Let’s Talk: Talking To Children about Sexuality program aims to support parents/caregivers in their role as the primary sexuality educators of their children. The program helps parents/caregivers respond more comfortably and effectively to a variety of children’s sexual questions and behaviors. This program can also be tailored to specific age ranges such as 7 and younger, 8 to 12, and 13 and over.