(photo: 2016-2017 School Year)
2017-2018 School Year
Now accepting applications for the 2017-2018 school year!
Click here for application.
Who We Are
Teen Council is made up of a diverse volunteer student body from local high schools in the Omaha metro area. Members come to the group with different beliefs, experiences and viewpoints. No one is expected to already know everything about sexual health and prevention issues. Some of us have been passionate about sexual health and reproductive rights for a long time, while for others these are very new discussions. What's important is that we are all willing to continue learning. We strive to create a Council that is strong and varied in its membership, and we work actively to build a group that is anti-racist, anti-sexist and anti-homophobic.
What Teen Council Members Do
Teen Council members are educators and representatives of Planned Parenthood. During weekly meetings, they are trained to present on a variety of sexuality topics, as well as to serve as sexual health resources for their peers, family members and communities. Presentation topics include sexual consent, STDs, birth control, healthy relationships, abstinence and more. Council members regularly provide valuable insights regarding what adolescents need and want in both clinical and educational settings. Council members also accompany Planned Parenthood staff at community outreach events, such as health fairs, music and arts festivals, and more.
Become a Member of Teen Council
Students interested in joining Teen Council must meet the following requirements:
- Be entering 10th, 11th or 12th grade in August of the school year for which they are applying
- Be able to attend all weekly meetings for the entire school year, minus holidays
- Show interest in learning and teaching about sexual health topics and social justice issues
- Demonstrate respect for diverse opinions, beliefs and values
- Be able to balance school, Teen Council and any other extra-curricular activities
- Commit to a mandatory overnight retreat at the start of the school year
If you’d like more information about joining Teen Council or are interested in having peer educators come to your school or organization, please email [email protected] or call 402.557.6696.