The mission of our Public Affairs Department is to protect and advance reproductive health care and rights [on a local, state, and national level] through advocacy. This team of community and campus organizers is responsible for activist recruitment, community education, and developing and engaging the inspiring leaders of tomorrow.
What We Do
1. Self-advocacy: Teaching individuals how to leverage education and their personal experiences to advocate for their personal health and rights and those of others. We teach storytelling, keystones of leading a healthy life, and how to navigate the political world in which our services exist.
2. Legislative advocacy: Urging elected officials to advocate for key issues, connecting our communities to key information through activities like phone banking, educating our supporters about priorities related to reproductive health and rights.
3. Community advocacy: Meeting our community where they’re at through actions like tabling at events, registering voters, coalition-building, canvassing to educate communities about our services and programs, and other grassroots outreach.
Planned Parenthood Generation Action https://www.plannedparenthoodaction.org/
Generation Action is a movement of students and young people across identities and issues that organizes for their generation in order to achieve reproductive freedom. We have Generation Action groups on six campuses across our affiliate:
- Central Washington University
- Eastern Washington University https://www.facebook.com/ewuppgen/
- Whitworth University Whitworth: https://www.facebook.com/whitgenaction/
- Washington State University
- Whitman University
- University of Idaho
Meeting young activists where they are, Generation Action registers voters, engages campus conversations regarding campus sexual assault, raises awareness of the importance of reproductive rights, and educates fellow college students on ways they can fight for those rights.
Health Center Advocacy Program
With our Health Center Advocacy Program (HCAP), volunteers are a driving force in Planned Parenthood’s effort to educate patients and health center visitors. By working inside our health center waiting rooms, HCAP volunteers connect with the full range of individuals who use Planned Parenthood services, and provide these supporters and patients with a range of ways to get involved in advocating for their reproductive health and rights.
Public Affairs Advocacy Volunteer
Advocacy volunteers take part in community outreach and tabling, collect petitions, canvass, data entry and many other public affairs activities. This is a fun opportunity to support our organization and meet new people. As an Advocacy Volunteer member, you will receive regular trainings and briefings to become an informed public affairs specialist.
Want to learn more?
Our work runs on volunteers, and advocacy is truly powered by you, the person who wants to make an active difference in our world. We love you for volunteering and we are glad you are here! Sign up to help at [email protected] and we also have ongoing opportunities and programs if you want to take your passion to the next level! Check them out here.