Everyone deserves to receive the best and most compassionate health care available. But for many, who they are or how they identify can create barriers to the basic and specialized care they need.
At Planned Parenthood of Delaware, one of our primary missions is to ensure that our services are available to all, regardless of gender identification, stage of gender transition or sexual preference. Our goal is to treat all humans with the same level of respect, caring and empathy.
This focus on human health care guides us in learning about each patient as an individual to see things from their perspectives; to better understand their needs, health concerns and how we can best help them either with the resources we provide or by referring them elsewhere. We understand that this is especially important for patients who might have faced judgment, rejection, or discrimination in other healthcare settings.
Among the services we provide to all applicable patients, regardless of gender identity, are:
- Wellness exams: These typically include height, weight, blood pressure, medical history, medication review, allergies, birth control evaluation, STI testing and treatment, HIV testing, intimate partner violence (IPV) screening, physical exam if indicated and social determents of health screening
- Screening for breast and cervical cancer
- Birth control and family planning: long-acting reversible contraceptives (LARCS) including the pill, implant, the shot (needle injection), vaginal ring, IUD, internal condom, diaphragm
- Behavioral Health: short and long-term outpatient therapy, case management, and connection to community resources. We are also proud to offer legal name change assistance and surgical letter writing services for gender affirming care patients.
- Gender affirming care: hormone therapy
- HPV vaccine to prevent cervical cancer
- Advanced diagnosis and early treatment for cervical abnormalities (colposcopy)
- Testing and treatment for sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) and sexually transmitted infections (STIs), including the rapid test for HIV
- Emergency contraception (Plan B)
- Pregnancy tests and information on all pregnancy options
- Abortion Services: surgical-sedated, surgical-awake, medical
It’s through getting to know our patients and being empathetic to their individual circumstances that we can provide care that is comprehensive and compassionate for everyone. We invite you to visit us at our locations in Wilmington, Newark, Dover, or Seaford, or contact us to set up an appointment.