Why is Planned Parenthood offering Gender Affirming Hormone Care?
Providing Gender Affirming Hormone Care aligns with our mission of enabling all people to make empowered, informed decisions about their bodies and lives.
Nationally, Planned Parenthood is the second largest provider of Gender Affirming Hormone Care.
What does it mean to be Transgender?
Transgender is used to describe a person whose biological sex assigned at birth (e.g. genitalia) and gender identity (sense of who they are) are incongruent or do not “match.”
Some transgender people seek to make their gender expression (i.e. how they look) match their gender identity (who they are).
What is Hormone Therapy?
Hormone therapy (HT) is one way for transgender individuals to feel and look more like the gender with which they identify.
HT is a component of a medical transition which is used to change the body’s endocrine system to more closely match the person’s gender identity. HT can include testosterone-blocking agents (or anti-androgens) along with female hormones such as estrogen and progesterone, or testosterone.
About Hormone Therapy
- PPCWNY will offer hormone therapy (HT) services for transgender male, transgender female and gender-nonconforming patients 18 and older.
- We will offer HT to patients with existing prescriptions and also HT prescription starts.
- Patients do not need to provide a letter of consent or a prescription from another provider to receive care at PPCWNY.
Making an Appointment
- Contact us at 1-866-600-6886 for more information, including costs, and to make an appointment.
- Currently, Gender Affirming Hormone Care is only available at our Syracuse and Canandaigua Health Centers.
- We follow an informed consent model. The first visit will include informed consent, education, self-injection training and any bloodwork that might be needed.
- Click here for a PDF with important information about your Gender Affirming Hormone Care appointment.
Or call 1-866-600-6886