Go to Content Go to Navigation Go to Navigation Go to Site Search Homepage

My mother is an alcoholic and I don’t know who to turn to. Who can I talk to about my feelings?

Addiction can cause some really serious problems, and when it’s a part of your family, it also affects your everyday life and how you deal with your feelings. It’s really important to look for an adult you can talk with about your parent’s addiction and how you’re handling it. Talking with someone else who acknowledges that your parent has a problem can really lift a weight off your chest.

Groups like Alateen can help you hook up with adults who understand, as well as other teens who are in similar situations. (Alateen deals with drug addiction as well as alcoholism.)

If you think you or your siblings are in danger because of your parent’s behavior, call the police or protective services in your area. If you can’t find the phone number, a trusted adult can help you get in touch with the right people.

Tags: alcoholism, parents