My boyfriend wants to have sex but I’m not sure if I’m ready. How do I know?
This is a really common question. Having sex is a big decision.
There are many things to think about, including
- your personal values and goals
- your feelings about the kinds of emotional and physical risks you’re willing to take
- whether you’re feeling pressured
- how clear you can be with your partner about what you do and don’t want to happen
- what you want out of your relationship
- whether or not you’re prepared to protect yourself against unintended pregnancy and sexually transmitted infections
Having sex can be a great experience, but it can also make people feel vulnerable, and they can get hurt. It’s important to think about the emotional risks and benefits when making a decision. It’s also important to plan how you’ll protect yourself and your partner from unintended pregnancy and sexually transmitted infections if you choose to have sex.
Bottom line: if you don’t want to have sex, don’t. You don’t need any reason more than that.