help! i have a STD and i dont now how to tell my girlfriend about it.what should i do ?
Even though a lot of people have sexually transmitted infections, talking about them can be tough. Here are some tips to help start this conversation:
Think about all the reasons why you want to talk about sexually transmitted infections with your partner.
- Practice having the discussion without your partner and say the words out loud. What do you want to say? What are all the possible things your partner could say?
- Try to have this talk when you both have time and privacy.
- Remember that your partner cannot read your thoughts. It’s important to talk about what you want and how you feel. It’s important to listen to your partner, too.
- If you’re feeling nervous or embarrassed, tell your partner. Maybe your partner feels the same way you do. Sometimes sex is hard to talk about, and it’s okay to admit that.
- Ask how your partner feels about this conversation. Being honest with each other can make a relationship more fulfilling.
If it’s a bacterial infection like chlamydia, gonorrhea, or syphilis, make sure your partner gets tested and treated, too.