Cecile Richards, president of Planned Parenthood Federation of America, testified before Congress today, at a hearing held by the House Government Oversight and Reform Committee.
The hearing comes after an unprecedented and unpopular attack on women’s reproductive health care in the 114th Congress, which has now taken 14 votes to restrict women’s access to reproductive health care in the past few months. Despite a fanatical obsession with attacking women’s health care by anti-abortion activists, Republican presidential candidates and extreme members of Congress, 10 national polls have now shown that the public both widely supports Planned Parenthood, and opposes blocking the nonprofit health care provider from accessing federal funds.
Statement from Dawn Laguens, Executive Vice President for Planned Parenthood Federation of America:
“In five hours of badgering and haranguing, Committee leadership only managed to show how little they know about women, women’s health, or the government health care programs they oversee.
“We were proud to help bring the voice of the millions of women, men and young people who rely on Planned Parenthood for basic health care into the halls of Congress today --- voices that have not been heard enough in the debate over the essential health care provided by Planned Parenthood’s non-profit health centers.”
A few of the headlines about today’s hearing:
- Washington Post:Today’s Planned Parenthood hearing shows why Republicans will lose on this issue
- National Memo: House Republicans Attack Planned Parenthood, Utterly Fail At Basic Math
- TPM: GOP Rep. Repeatedly Interrupts Planned Parenthood Head At Hearing
- Slate: Carolyn Maloney Slams Attack on Planned Parenthood Head’s Salary: “Totally Inappropriate and Discriminatory”
- Huff Post: Watch Jason Chaffetz React As He’s Accused Of 'Beating Up On A Woman' Over Her Pay
- The Hill: Dem accuses GOP of 'misogyny' at hearing on Planned Parenthood
- The Hill: Planned Parenthood chief gives sharpest attack yet on anti-abortion 'smear campaign'
- Yahoo News: Democrats Criticize GOP Planned Parenthood Investigation
- MSNBC: Congressman uses misleading graph to smear Planned Parenthood
- Jezebel: Cecile Richards to House Oversight Committee: You're Not 'Trying to Get to the Truth'
- Chicago Tribune: Planned Parenthood leader says fetal tissue claims are false
- Voice of America: US Anti-abortion Lawmakers Clash With Planned Parenthood Chief
- Washington Post: Planned Parenthood chief: Video allegations ‘offensive’ and ‘untrue’
- The Hill: Republican gets into shouting match with Planned Parenthood executive
- NYTimes: Planned Parenthood Chief Faces G.O.P. Critics at Congressional Hearing
Planned Parenthood is the nation’s leading provider and advocate of high-quality, affordable health care for women, men, and young people, as well as the nation’s largest provider of sex education. With approximately 700 health centers across the country, Planned Parenthood organizations serve all patients with care and compassion, with respect and without judgment. Through health centers, programs in schools and communities, and online resources, Planned Parenthood is a trusted source of reliable health information that allows people to make informed health decisions. We do all this because we care passionately about helping people lead healthier lives.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America media office: 212-261-4433
September 29, 2015