Washington, D.C. – Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) today joined 50 other reproductive rights, health and justice organizations in sending a letter to members of the Senate Judiciary Committee urging them to oppose President Trump’s Supreme Court nominee, extremist Judge Neil Gorsuch. The letter states:
“Gorsuch has demonstrated he will go to extraordinary lengths to reach a result that would block women's access to basic reproductive healthcare. Moreover, Trump established an outrageous litmus test for his Supreme Court nominees: they must be committed to overturning Roe v. Wade. By selecting Gorsuch, a candidate put forward by the Federalist Society and the Heritage Foundation, Trump made it clear he believes Gorsuch passes this dangerous test and earned the applause of anti-abortion groups… Based on his record, writings, and the circumstances of his nomination, we believe Gorsuch would put reproductive freedom in grave danger and pose an imminent threat to our constitutional rights.” (Read the full letter HERE.)
Statement from Cecile Richards, President, Planned Parenthood Action Fund:
“Supreme Court Nominee Neil Gorsuch has an alarming history of interfering with reproductive rights and health. Every chance he gets, he uses his judicial power to try to block access to birth control and basic health care at Planned Parenthood -- and based on his record, we expect him to be just as hostile toward Roe. The Supreme Court has upheld the right to safe and legal abortion for more than 40 years, and is not something the American people are willing the turn back. At risk is a woman’s ability to decide when and if to have children, the right to vote, and the right of all people in this country to be free from discrimination based on who they love, where they come from, their race, or their religious beliefs. We have one message for members of the Senate: Neil Gorsuch is not fit to protect the rights and freedoms of the American people.”
Among others, the groups pointed to the following examples of Gorsuch’s extreme and dangerous record related to reproductive health:
- As a judge on the Tenth Circuit Court of Appeals, Gorsuch ruled on numerous cases related to reproductive rights, and has been on the wrong side of every one of these decisions.
- Trump pledged to appoint anti-abortion judges to the Supreme Court, and Gorsuch has demonstrated an alarming history of using the courts to interfere with reproductive rights and health care -- even basic access to birth control.
- In Planned Parenthood Association of Utah v. Herbert, Gorsuch sided with a politician who defunded Planned Parenthood in Utah, denying people access to STI tests, sex education, and other preventive care.
- Gorsuch ruled in favor of the idea that corporations are people and believes that bosses should be able to impede their employees' access to birth control. In fact, he wants to go even further than the Hobby Lobby decision in blocking employees' access to insurance coverage for birth control.
- Gorsuch has a troubling record of opposing LGBTQ rights and ruled against an incarcerated transgender woman seeking access to medically necessary hormone treatment in Druley v. Patton.
The full text of the letter and signers is HERE.
Planned Parenthood is the nation’s leading provider and advocate of high-quality, affordable health care for women, men, and young people, as well as the nation’s largest provider of sex education. With over 650 health centers across the country, Planned Parenthood organizations serve all patients with care and compassion, with respect and without judgment. Through health centers, programs in schools and communities, and online resources, Planned Parenthood is a trusted source of reliable health information that allows people to make informed health decisions. We do all this because we care passionately about helping people lead healthier lives.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America media office: 212-261-4433
March 14, 2017