Groundbreaking Comedian Carol Leifer Hosts
Washington, DC — Carol Leifer, a groundbreaking comedian, who has written for Seinfeld and has appeared on numerous shows including The Tonight Show, hosted the Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) Affiliate and Volunteer Excellence Awards reception to honor outstanding volunteers, affiliates, and staff on March 31, 2006. The ceremony, held at the Hilton Washington Hotel in Washington, DC, also featured several other grants and innovation awards.
"These affiliates and individuals have shown a tireless commitment to Planned Parenthood, our mission and the women and families we serve,said PPFA president Cecile Richards. "Reproductive health care services are under attack, and we are very thankful for the time and talent these people give to improve reproductive health and to advocate on behalf of the women and families who count on Planned Parenthood."
The awards presented during the ceremony included the following:
- Affiliate Excellence Award in Board Development went to Planned Parenthood of Houston and Southeast Texas for its commitment to governance responsibilities and a clear vision for the future.
- Affiliate Excellence Award in Clinical Service Expansion and Outreach went to Planned Parenthood of the Columbia/Willamette for expanding its outreach substantially through its breakthrough program "Contraception Online."
- Affiliate Excellence Award in Clinical Training went to Planned Parenthood of Connecticut for establishing a medical residency training program with the Yale School of Medicine.
- Affiliate Excellence Award in Community Education went to Planned Parenthood of South Central Michigan for working to lower the infant mortality, teen pregnancy, and sexually transmitted infection rates by recruiting and educating health promoters as part of its Healthy Babies/Healthy Start program.
- Affiliate Excellence Award in Diversity went to Planned Parenthood Centers of West Michigan for establishing diversity as a major priority in all aspects of its organization.
- Affiliate Excellence Award in Marketing and Advertising went to Planned Parenthood of Montana for an innovative media campaign known as "Choose Planned Parenthood, It's your right."
- Affiliate Excellence Award in Media and Public Relations went to Planned Parenthood of Rhode Island for developing a community awareness campaign highlighting Planned Parenthood as a full-service reproductive health center to reach more women, men and families in need of its services.
- Fund for the Future Grants went to Planned Parenthood of Alabama, Planned Parenthood of the Columbia/Willamette, Planned Parenthood of East Central Iowa, Planned Parenthood Golden Gate, Planned Parenthood Health Systems, Planned Parenthood of the St. Louis Region, Planned Parenthood Trust of San Antonio and South Central Texas to expand the scope of education programs, improve the range and quality of reproductive health services, and advances 501(c) (3) advocacy efforts.
- Ruth Mott Rawlings Mott Award for International Excellence went to Planned Parenthood of Stark Country and Planned Parenthood of Greater Cleveland for working to provide and advocate for family planning and women's health services, both at home and abroad.
- Shannon Lowney/Leanne Nichols Award for Innovative Medical Service went to Planned Parenthood of Greater Iowa for paving the way for sensitive and knowledgeable lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender health care in Des Moines and throughout Iowa.
- Affiliate Excellence Award in Public Affairs went to Planned Parenthood of Greater Miami, Palm Beach and Treasure Coast for forming a Youth Activist Team to educate young people about reproductive rights and social justice.
- Affiliate Excellence Award in Special Efforts in Serving Teens went to Planned Parenthood of Metropolitan Washington, DC, for performing aggressive community outreach and developing two teen clinics to better inform at-risk teens and young adults about sexual health.
- Affiliate Excellence Award in Volunteer Excellence went to Planned Parenthood of Southwest and Central Florida for integrating volunteers into Planned Parenthood family and activities in order to maintain and increase their commitment.
- Winston Forrest Jr. Award for Excellence in Private Fundraising went to Planned Parenthood of Central Texas and Planned Parenthood Hudson Peconic for producing dynamic fundraising campaigns that have benefited Planned Parenthood as a whole.
- The Pamela G. Veerhusen Awards went to PPFA staff Elena Chavez and Faustina Trent for demonstrating outstanding service and commitment to Planned Parenthood's mission and goals.
- PPNOVA Scholarship Award for Excellence went to Annet Ruiter of Planned Parenthood of Central and Northern Arizona for increasing volunteer involvement at every level of PPCNA's work.
- President and Chair's Courage and Integrity Award went to Becky Morgan from Planned Parenthood Advocates Mar Monte for her unparalleled contributions to defeating Proposition 73, which resulted in protecting the health and safety of teens throughout California.
President's Award for Exceptional Commitment
- went to Planned Parenthood of Minnesota, North Dakota, and South Dakota, Planned Parenthood of Northern New England, and Planned Parenthood of Central Ohio for their brave efforts to provide reproductive health services, including abortion, with limited resources, and under difficult and extreme circumstances.
- Robyn Menin Grant for Promoting Ingenuity in Risk and Quality Management went to Planned Parenthood Association of Hidalgo County, Planned Parenthood of Central Washington, and Planned Parenthood of Southern Arizona for identifying a Risk and Quality Management initiative that will benefit the individual affiliate and the National Insurance Program, and can serve as a model for other affiliates.
- Volunteer of the Year Award went to Hilton Brown from Planned Parenthood Mar Monte for serving as an escort and coordinating clinic escorts to help patients feel safer and have access to reproductive health care with privacy and dignity.
- Young Volunteer of the Year Award went to Samantha Blanchard of Planned Parenthood of Middle and East Tennessee for founding the first Vox®: Voices for Planned Parenthood chapter at Middle Tennessee State University despite incredible resistance from anti-choice students and faculty.
May 11, 2014