Planned Parenthood Condemns President Trump’s Signing of Bill That Threatens Health Care Protections for 4 Million Title X Family Planning Patients
For Immediate Release: April 13, 2017
Washington, DC – Planned Parenthood Federation of America condemned President Donald Trump’s signing of a measure designed to undermine women’s health and overturn a rule that reinforced protections for the more than 4 million people who rely on Title X, the nation’s family planning program, for their health care.
The bill signed by President Trump today does not “defund” Planned Parenthood. That is a separate issue. However, this latest move could embolden states to try to block access to health care through Title X, both at Planned Parenthood health centers and independent clinics. These types of actions are already illegal, as a court in Florida found just this past summer.
Statement from Dawn Laguens, Executive Vice President of Planned Parenthood Federation of America:
“People are sick and tired of politicians making it even harder for them to access health care, and this bill is just the latest example. Planned Parenthood strongly opposes President Trump’s willingness to undermine millions of women’s access to birth control through the Title X family planning program. Four million people depend on the Title X family planning program, and by signing this bill, President Trump disregards their health and well-being.
“We should build on the tremendous progress made in this country with expanded access to birth control, instead of enacting policies that take us backward. Too many women still face barriers to health care, especially young women, women of color, those who live in rural areas, and women with low incomes.”
“Women marched in historic numbers the day after the inauguration because they feared the worst. Their worst fears are now coming true. We are facing the worst political attack on women’s health in a generation as lawmakers have spent the past three months trading away women’s health and rights at every turn. That’s why women are the core of the resistance and have have been organizing and speaking out since the day after the election. They know speaking up and speaking out can change the direction of this government.”
In less than three months, the Trump administration and anti-women’s health Members of Congress have taken unprecedented steps to rip away women’s access to health care:
- Trump reinstated and expanded the harmful global gag rule, meaning a wide range of health organizations combating HIV or the spread of Zika will be banned from all U.S. global health funding if they also happen to provide counseling, referrals, or services for safe and legal abortion.
- The House considered a bill to repeal the ACA that was the worst piece of legislation for women in a generation, prohibiting women from getting care at Planned Parenthood through the Medicaid program, kicking millions off insurance, ending maternity coverage for millions of women, and imposing a ban on insurance coverage for abortion.
- Extremists in Congress attempted to revive the failed ACA repeal bill by trading away women’s health and proposing to gut the essential health benefits provision, which would roll back maternity care, raise insurance rates for women and reduce access to birth control and other reproductive health care.
- President Trump jammed through an extreme and anti-women’s health nominee, Judge Neil Gorsuch, to the Supreme Court, endangering women’s access to abortion and birth control in the years to come.
- The Trump administration quietly eliminated U.S. funding for UNFPA, an organization whose mission is to champion maternal and child health across the globe.
Planned Parenthood is the nation's leading provider and advocate of high-quality, affordable health care for women, men, and young people, as well as the nation's largest provider of sex education. With approximately 700 health centers across the country, Planned Parenthood organizations serve all patients with care and compassion, with respect and without judgment. Through health centers, programs in schools and communities, and online resources, Planned Parenthood is a trusted source of reliable health information that allows people to make informed health decisions. We do all this because we care passionately about helping people lead healthier lives.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America
April 13, 2017