Emphasizes that Women’s Health and Economic Security Are Deeply Connected in Letter Sent to Members of Congress Today
WASHINGTON, DC -- Planned Parenthood sent a letter to every Member of Congress today emphasizing that women’s health and economic security are deeply connected and laying out ways that the 114th Congress can move forward on improving health outcomes for women. It comes at a time when extreme politicians in the House and Senate have already introduced several measures that would restrict women’s health across the country, including a nationwide ban on abortion that will be voted on in the House of Representatives on Thursday. The letter is signed by the group’s president, Cecile Richards, who laid out these priorities in a speech at the National Press Club last week.
In the letter, Richards writes: “Advances in women’s health have paved the way for women to be a driving force in our economy, and reproductive health access is directly related to women’s economic well-being…
“At Planned Parenthood, we are proud of the role we have played for nearly 100 years in providing high-quality, affordable reproductive care for women. We’re eager to work with all Members of Congress to build on this progress and move forward to advance women’s health care access.”
You can read the accompanying fact sheet on Planned Parenthood’s services and the role that access to reproductive health care has played in economic advancement here.
The full letter is copied below.
January 20, 2015
Congratulations on your election to serve in the 114th Congress and thank you, as you begin the work for the people of (insert state and/or district).
As a country, we have made tremendous progress in public health outcomes. In particular, improved access to a full range of birth control services has resulted in a twenty year low in teen pregnancy and abortion rates. Advances in women’s health have paved the way for women to be a driving force in our economy, and reproductive health access is directly related to women’s economic well-being. There is also broad consensus (78%) that government should not interfere with private decisions that a woman makes with her doctor.
At Planned Parenthood, we are proud of the role we have played for nearly 100 years in providing high-quality, affordable reproductive care for women. We’re eager to work with all Members of Congress to build on this progress and move forward to advance women’s health care access. As you serve your constituents in the 114th Congress, we call on you to:
- Reject any further national restrictions on abortion access that would interfere with a woman's ability to make her own private medical decisions along with her doctor.
- Support access to basic reproductive health care for millions of lower-income women by expanding funding for programs like Title X and Medicaid and ensuring patients can access care at qualified health centers, including Planned Parenthood, without ideological interference.
- Guarantee that the full range of birth control is accessible without an insurance co-pay so that cost is not a barrier for millions of women.
- Support teens' ability to make healthy decisions with medically accurate and age-appropriate information.
- Protect the right of individual patients to make medical decisions for themselves without interference by their employer’s personal religious beliefs.
- Safeguard the right of survivors of sexual violence to have access to compassionate health care, including emergency contraception, without delay or political interference.
Our goal at Planned Parenthood is to advance the ability of all women – regardless of income – to have access to reproductive health services. We are proud to continue our nearly 100-year legacy to build a healthier and safer world for the three million patients we serve and advocate on behalf of all women, men and young people in communities across the U.S.
Please find the enclosed information about the services we provide and the communities we serve. The entire Planned Parenthood team of health care experts looks forward to working with you and your office on continuing to advance women’s health and to respect the consensus beliefs of the American people. Congratulations again on your election.
With warmest regards,
Planned Parenthood is the nation’s leading provider and advocate of high-quality, affordable health care for women, men, and young people, as well as the nation’s largest provider of sex education. With approximately 700 health centers across the country, Planned Parenthood organizations serve all patients with care and compassion, with respect and without judgment. Through health centers, programs in schools and communities, and online resources, Planned Parenthood is a trusted source of reliable health information that allows people to make informed health decisions. We do all this because we care passionately about helping people lead healthier lives.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America media office: 212-261-4433
January 20, 2015