Please see the information below on how to register to vote, voter registration deadlines, and general election information.
Who is eligible to register to vote?
- You must a be resident of Virginia (a person who has come toVirginia for temporary purposes and intends to return to another state is not considered a resident for voting purposes)
- You must be a U.S. citizen
- You must be 18 years old (Any person who is 17 years old and will be 18 years of age at the next general election shall be permitted to register in advance and also vote in any intervening primary or special election)
- You must not claim the right to vote in any other State
- You must not currently be declared mentally incompetent by a court of law
- If convicted of a felony, your right to vote must have been restored
Where can you obtain a voter registration form?
- A local voter registration office
- State or local government offices when applying or recertifying for Aid to Dependent Children, Food Stamps, WIC, Medicaid, or Rehabilitation Services
- Government offices in the State that provide State-funded programs primarily engaged in providing services to persons with disabilities
- Armed forces recruitment offices
- Public libraries
- State Board of Elections offices
- Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) offices
- Voter Registration Drives
The completed application can be filed with the local registration office or mailed to the address printed on the form. Application for registration can be submitted using a Virginia Voter Registration Application form or a National Voter Registration Application form. Military and other persons residing outside of the United States should contact the Federal Voting Assistance Program for registration information.
*Once you have submitted your registration form, you should receive a voter registration card in the mail. If you do not receive one, contact your local Registrar's Office to make sure that your application has been processed.
Election Types Registration Deadlines General 29 days before election Primary 29 days before election Special 13 days before election Special (called by the Governor) 7 days before election
For more information about registering to vote, where to vote, and other special information, click here.