What is PPYL? PPYL is a group of 40-ish and younger local professionals committed to the mission and activities of UHPP, who have expressed interest in meeting and networking with like-minded individuals in an informal atmosphere. If you are interested in attending future events or becoming involved with PPYL, please e-mail email@example.com for more information!
PPYL (pronounced "people")
Since 2003, PPYL has enabled like-minded people to socialize and learn more about Planned Parenthood. Throughout the year we will host several events, ranging from social gatherings at a neighborhood bar to larger events such as an art auction or concert. The goal is to build the new generation of supporters and advocates. Together we will guide the future of Upper Hudson Planned Parenthood (UHPP) as advocates, board members, donors, and volunteers.
You Choose Your Level of Involvement At each event, PPYL has information about UHPP volunteer opportunities, the e-action alerts, and other ways you can support the work done by Planned Parenthood locally and nationally. You can also sign up to receive PPYL event e-updates and hear about informal get-togethers with other UHPP supporters. Sign up at these events or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our mission is to build a new generation of supporters for Upper Hudson Planned Parenthood and to raise awareness for the agency and its critical community services. We create opportunities for young professionals to come together, socialize, learn more about and support UHPP's mission.
To accomplish this mission, we will:
- Educate PPYL supporters about UHPP's services and political activities in the local community
- Provide opportunities to get involved in volunteer programs and/or fundraising activities
- Engage supporters as advocates by informing them of Action Alerts on local and national sexual and reproductive health issues
- Enable participants to share their knowledge and support of UHPP with others through the activities, events, and programs that we sponsor and support
- Host events to raise funds or awareness for UHPP's clinic services and its education and public affairs programs
- Ask volunteers to help us increase the number of people who share our vision and seek fulfillment of our mission
2013 PPYL sponsor:
Albany Medical Center
- Comedy for a Cause Rocks Water Works!
Fifty-two people packed The Water Works Lounge in Albany on Friday, November 8 for the first annual PPYL Comedy for a Cause event! Hosted by Jennifer McMullen, the event featured six more local comics, including the hilarious Jon Tenace, former Upper Hudson Planned Parenthood Peer Educator. McMullen, Tenace, Frank Gentile, Shawn Gille, Brendan Joseph, William Hughes, and Wanda Luv had the crowd roaring with laughs all night! Many thanks to Water Works for donating the space, to event sponsor Penny Andrews, Dean of Albany Law School, and to our 2013 PPYL Presenting Sponsor, Albany Medical Center.
- 2nd Annual Trivia Tournament at Revolution Hall crowns new champions!
On June 13, a night of fierce competition and fun with a record 93 guests resulted in new PPYL trivia champions! Sassy Pants and Sassafrass proudly held their 2013 Golden Speculum Award high. The team bested last year's champions and 13 other teams through five rounds of trivia and a "final Jeopardy" question. It seemed fitting that some members of the hardworking event planning committee were among the winners. Guests also enjoyed great food, drinks and raffle prizes.
- Wine Tasting at The Confectionery Marks Women's History Month
What better way to celebrate Women's History Month than to spend the afternoon drinking find wine at eating fancy cheese at The Confectionery in Troy? Nearly 40 of our friends agreed and joined us on March 23 for an exclusive PPYL event.
From the late 1800s to 1951, The Charles F. Lucas Confectionery & Wine Bar was a classy place for ladies to frequent. Owners Vic Christopher and Heather LaVine painstakingly restored the space over several years. Wine Director Tony Avenia reviewed the wines with PPYL guests and Lavine discussed the cheeses, all made by women. UHPP President/CEO Chelly Hegan asked guests to sign up to speak with local legislators about the Women's Equality Agenda. Development volunteer Karla Gareau shared how she stretched her donation to UHPP through monthly giving. She also drew raffle winners for gift certificates to The Confectionery, Serenity En Joy Massage, Some Girls Boutique and White Sands Spa.
- Halloween Party & Cocktail Tasting Is a Big Hit!
More than 30 young professionals celebrated the holiday on 10/24 at Victory Café in Albany. Specially created cocktails included Witches’ Brew, Headless Horseman, Jack O’Lantern and Pumpkintini. Betty’s Naughty Balloons entertained guests by making “dirty balloons.” UHPP President/CEO Chelly Hegan told the crowd, “The most important thing you can do in November is vote.”
- Trivia Challenge at Revolution Hall breaks PPYL event records
The first ever PPYL Trivia Challenge attracted 81 guests and 16 teams. Fierce yet fun competition resulted in Team ‘We Support Women With Many Positions’ taking home the golden speculum first place award! Great food, drinks, trivia and raffle prizes, and camaraderie led to guests demanding that we host the Trivia Challenge again next year!
- Midtown Tap & Tea Room hosts record-setting PPYL event
“Cocktails for a Cause” hosted a record 58 men and women. Building upon recent widespread support for Planned Parenthood’s mission, young professionals came out on Thursday, February 16 to uphold reproductive choice.
- 'Cocktails for a Cause' event at the Midtown Tap & Tea Room
On the evening of Thursday March 25th, UHPP’s Planned Parenthood Young Leaders (PPYL) group held a “Cocktails for a Cause” event at the Midtown Tap & Tea Room on New Scotland Avenue. Thirty-five people came out to enjoy great drinks, exciting appetizers, and fabulous conversation—and heard some very inspirational words from UHPP President/CEO Patricia McGeown. The event was a great success!
- Networking Event at the Albany Pump Station
UHPP's Planned Parenthood Young Leaders held a Cocktails for a Cause event at the Albany Pump Station on the evening of Wednesday, June 9, 2010. Another great group—another great night!
- Night out in Troy at Daisy Baker'sOn Thursday, October 14th, Planned Parenthood Young Leaders met at Daisy Baker's for our next networking event. Thanks to everyone who came out with us!
- 'Cocktails for a Cause' Benefit Concert with Wreckloose at Tess' Lark Tavern
- 'Rock for Choice' Concert at Red Square
- 'Coffee for a Cause' Book Signing with Mary Kahl, author of Controversy and Courage; Upper Hudson Planned Parenthood from 1934 to 2004 at A Perfect Blend in Delmar
- (Safe) Sex in the City Annual Event at Café Hollywood
- Film Screening of Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness at DeJohn's to support The March for Women's Lives
- Art Show with GALS by local female artists at Little Moon Tibetan Gift Shop
- 'Cocktails for a Cause' at Brown's Brewing in Troy
- Film Screening of Vera Drake at the Spectrum with Dessert and Discussion at Quintessence
- 'Cocktails for a Cause' at Quintessence
- 'Cocktails for a Cause' at Justins