Emergency Contraception, a.k.a."The Morning-After Pill (EC)"
Trade names: Preven, Plan B
- For women who are NOT pregnant. Highly effective to prevent pregnancy if taken within 72 hours of unprotected sex or contraceptive failure. Has NO impact on an already-established pregnancy.
- EC is approved by the FDA as a safe and effective contraceptive.
- The earlier emergency contraception is used after unprotected intercourse, the more effective it is.
- Is available at a pharmacy with a prescription from an authorized health care provider.
RU-486 Medical Abortion a.k.a. "The French Abortion Pill"
Trade name: Mifeprex (for Mifepristone)
- For women who have an unwanted pregnancy. It is a non-surgical option for early abortion that can be used up to 7 weeks (49 days) after the beginning of the last menstrual period.
- Mifepristone is approved by the FDA for use in medical abortions as part of a two-medicine regimen that also includes misoprostol.
- Mifepristone is effective 92-95% of the time ending an unwanted pregnancy.
- It is administered under the supervision of a physician with appropriate follow up to assure completion of the abortion.
- It is not available from a pharmacy