Planned Parenthood of the Great Northwest was formed in November, 2008 with the merger of Planned Parenthood’s of Alaska, Idaho, and Western Washington, creating the largest geographic affiliate in Planned Parenthood Federation of America. The new affiliate becomes the nation’s second largest division based on operating budget.
The move to create Planned Parenthood of the Great Northwest enhances reproductive health care, educational opportunities, and advocacy for millions of women, men, and teens in the three-state region. The consolidation will benefit the communities they serve by providing one strong, well-positioned reproductive health care organization working to carry out the medical, educational, and advocacy mission of Planned Parenthood.
The History of Planned Parenthood of Alaska
Anchorage Planned Parenthood League, Inc., was originally formed as an educational organization in 1966. The first health center opened in 1980 and the named changed to Planned Parenthood of Alaska in 1982. There are now five locations in Alaska including Anchorage, Fairbanks, Soldotna, Sitka, and Juneau, the first location opened by Planned Parenthood of the Great Northwest.
The History of Planned Parenthood of Idaho
Planned Parenthood of Idaho was established in 1971 by volunteers in effort to provide affordable family planning education and services in Boise. 35 years later, PPI provides family planning services and education to over 10,000 patients annually in its Boise and Twin Falls health centers while advocating to further public policy and opinion consistent with the goals of Planned Parenthood Federation of America.
The History of Planned Parenthood of Western Washington
Also the product of a merger, Planned Parenthood of Western Washington was formed in 1996 with the consolidation of Planned Parenthoods of Seattle-King, Pierce, and Snohomish Counties. Opening originally as the Family Planning Center in 1935, a board was established and the entity recognized by Planned Parenthood Federation of America in 1939.
Planned Parenthood of Snohomish County opened their doors in 1967 in the training rooms of a local fire station. A year later the Family Planning Association of Snohomish County was formed and, in 1969, became affiliated with Planned Parenthood Federation of America.
In Tacoma, Planned Parenthood of Pierce County was founded in 1972 by a group of community volunteers who were concerned about the high rates of teen pregnancy and sexually transmitted diseases in the county. All three affiliates continued expanding both services and clinic sites. The original merger created the fifth largest Planned Parenthood affiliate in the United States, initially serving 60,000 patients at 17 clinics sites in eight Western Washington counties.
Today, Planned Parenthood of the Great Northwest is the region’s leading sexual and reproductive health care provider and advocate. We believe everyone has the right to choose when or whether to have a child, and that every child should be wanted and loved. Planned Parenthood of the Great Northwest operates health centers in Alaska, Idaho, and western Washington, providing medical services and sexuality education for thousands of women, men, and teenagers each year. Planned Parenthood of the Great Northwest is a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit organization. We rely heavily on support from donors to help sustain responsible reproduction.