Texas Department of State Health Services Required Information
During the 2003 session, the Texas Legislature passed the Woman's Right to Know Act (House Bill 15). Under this law:The "Women's Right To Know" information is currently available on the Texas Department of State Health Services website.
- A doctor who is to perform an abortion (or the doctor's agent) must tell the woman that benefits may be available to help with medical care before, during, and after childbirth.
- The father is required to help support the child whether or not he has offered to pay for an abortion.
- Government and private agencies can counsel the woman in preventing pregnancy, or refer her to a doctor for medications or devices to prevent pregnancy, including emergency contraception for victims of rape and incest.
- The woman has the right to look at printed information. If she chooses to see the material the law describes, the doctor (or the doctor's agent) shall give her a copy at least 24 hours before the abortion is scheduled. The doctor (or agent) may instead mail her the materials, with delivery restricted to her, at least 72 hours before the abortion is scheduled.
- The doctor (or agent) is not required to give her the material if she signs a statement that she chooses to look at the material online.
- A woman must wait 24-hours after making her appointment to give her the option of reviewing color pictures of the developmental stages of a fetus.
- Second-trimester abortions (over 16 weeks of pregnancy) must be performed only in hospitals or ambulatory surgical centers.
- Physicians to give women seeking abortions information about medical risks and adoption alternatives.
You must contact Planned Parenthood 24 hours before an abortion procedure as mandated by law.
In accordance with ~139.6 of this legislation (relating to Public Information; Toll-free Telephone Numbers) we are providing you with the phone number of Health Care licensing for the Texas Department of Health - 1-888-973-0022. You have the right to access certain information concerning this licensed abortion facility by using the toll free number.
The Texas Department of State Health Services is also responsible for any complaints. You can write Director, Health Facility Licensing and Compliance Division, Texas Department of State Health Services, 1100 West 49th Street, Austin, TX 78756. Complainants MUST provide his/her name.
DSHS License Numbers:
Midland Health Center – License #008236
San Angelo Health Center – License #008579