TEEN COUNCIL VISION
Through the power of peer education, using accurate, unbiased sexuality education, Teen Council will end ignorance, promote tolerance, and improve communication between teens and the important people in their lives.
WHO WE ARE
Teen Council is made up of a diverse volunteer student body from local schools. Members come to the group with different beliefs and viewpoints. No one is expected to already know about sexual health and prevention issues. We strive to create a Council that is strong and varied in its membership and work actively to build a group that is anti-racist, anti-sexist, and anti-homophobic.
We currently have a teen council in the Salt Lake Valley and one starting in Summit County for 2014-2015.
WHAT TEEN COUNCIL MEMBERS DO
We create peer to peer dialogue.
We educate as presenters on topics such as HIV/AIDS, STDs, healthy relationships, delaying sex, family communication, and more!
We act as resources by sharing sexual health information with friends and peers.
We participate in weekly meetings and trainings to increase knowledge and skills.
We are part of the solution, while connecting others to this important work.
TO BECOME A MEMBER OF TEEN COUNCIL
Applicants must be:
- Interested in providing accurate sexual health information to their peers
- Entering 10th, 11th or 12th grade (during their participation year)
- Able to attend an annual mandatory overnight retreat in late summer
- Able to commit to weekly meetings and occasionally miss school for presentations (about once a month)
- Responsible for budgeting their time and keeping up with their academic work
Teen Council Applications
Salt Lake Applicants
Summit County Applicants
For more information about programs in your area, contact the Planned Parenthood Education Department by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your name, full address, phone number and the school you attend.