Since 1934, Trusting Women's Choices, Protecting Women's Health
1934- The Albany Mother's Health Center (later Upper Hudson Planned Parenthood) opens in Dr. Frances Vosburgh's office at 214 State Street, Albany.
1935- Clinic transferred to Albany Hospital, renamed Albany Maternal Guidance Association.
1937- Additional clinic opens at the Trinity Institution.
1940- Budget more than doubles to $1500 and almost 500 women receive birth control services.
1942- The clinics at Albany Hospital and Trinity Institution are closed in response to pressure from the Albany Roman Catholic Bishop. A new clinic is established at 20 Trinity Place.
1945- A Clergyman's Advisory Board is formed.
1947- Agency name changed to Planned Parenthood Association of Albany. Cancer detection services now offered.
1950- 700 patient visits.
1959- Dr. Crawford Campbell, a noted orthopedic surgeon, has his privileges withdrawn at St. Peter's Hospital because of his and his wife's association with Planned Parenthood.
1960- With the introduction of "The Pill" in 1960, patient visits increase dramatically. By 1967, there are a total of nearly 3,000 active patient files, including 800 new patients and 10,000 patient visits.
1965- PP of Albany moves to 225 Lark Street to accommodate growing community needs. The new location provides easy access from all parts of the Capital District, and is perceived as serving the total community, rather than only low income patients.
1967- New contraceptive methods require more professional staffing of the clinic, replacing a largely volunteer effort. By 1967, the staff includes four or five doctors (part-time), a full-time clinic nurse, a part-time interviewing nurse, and several volunteer nurses for filling prescriptions.
1970s- Preventative services for teens are introduced and outreach and education services are expanded, stressing teen rights of confidentiality.
1976- New health center opens in Troy. Planned Parenthood agencies from throughout New York State form Family Planning Advocates of NYS to lobby the Legislature.
1977- Albany health center moves to current location at 259 Lark Street.
1980- Hudson health center opens.
1981- Reflecting its increasing service area covering Albany, Rensselaer, Columbia, and Greene counties, the agency's name is changed to Upper Hudson Planned Parenthood.
1984- UHPP receives a State Health Department license to provide abortion services in Albany and Hudson. The Roman Catholic Diocese challenges this decision and a lengthy legal battle ensues. UHPP budget reaches $1 million and serves 12,200 patients.
1986- UHPP initiates abortion services in Albany. A patient escort program is formed to welcome patients and protect them from picketer harassment. Latham center opens.
1987- HIV counseling and testing begins.
1989- Operation Rescue blockades UHPP Albany health center. UHPP budget exceeds $2 million; 14,000 patients receive care.
1991- UHPP initiates abortion services in Troy.
1995- Primary and prenatal care services introduced at Albany health center.
1996- UHPP assumes management of Teen Choices, an after school program for Albany middle school students focusing on self-esteem and healthy decision making.
1997- UHPP receives funding from the NYS Department of Health to begin a collaborative teen pregnancy prevention initiative in the city of Albany. The program is called S.T.A.R.S. (Seriously Talking About Responsible Sex) and emphasizes the recruitment and employment of high school peer educators.
1998- UHPP establishes a new S.T.A.R.S. program serving teens in the Hudson and Taconic Hills school districts of Columbia County.
2001- Medication abortion (The Abortion Pill) is available at the Albany center.
2004- UHPP brings over 300 people to the March for Women's Lives; the largest march in Washington, D.C. in U.S. history (1.15 million attended).
2004- UHPP celebrates its 70th anniversary.
2004- UHPP opens a Teen Clinic in Albany staffed by UHPP adult and high school student educators offering health services and information regarding birth control, STIs, pregnancy, Emergency Contraception, and gynecological exams.
2006- OraQuick, rapid HIV test is available at Albany Health Center with expectation of availability to all patients, at all four health centers, by the end of the year.
2006- The FDA approves over-the-counter status for Plan B Emergency Contraception (EC) for women 18 and older. Plan B is made by Duramed Pharmaceutical and should be available over-the-counter in pharmacies by 2007. UHPP will continue to provide prescriptions for EC to all women, regardless of age. For more information on EC please visit "Our Health Services" page.
2009- UHPP Celebrates its 75th Anniversary
2010- The UHPP Albany health center and administrative offices are relocated to 855 Central Avenue. The new facility provides increased accessibility, security, confidentiality and 50% increased capacity.