Planned Parenthood

South Texas

Our History

Founded in 1939 as the Maternal Health Center, Planned Parenthood South Texas has grown to become the region's largest family planning organization.

Below is a timeline of our history:

1939

  • Under the leadership of Mollie Bennett Lupe, a group of San Antonio women established the Maternal Health Center in a small adobe house at the corner of Water and Goliad Streets.

1940s

  • The Maternal Health Center is incorporated as Planned Parenthood Center of San Antonio (PPCSA).Diaphragms are available to clients requesting a reliable birth control method.

1950s

  • New technology and a growing industrialized nation cause more couples to consider limiting the size of their families.
  • PPCSA flourishes with the advent of oral contraceptives and receives its first federal grant, allowing the agency to expand from one health care center to a central site with 12 satellite centers.

1970s

  • The U.S. Supreme Court's decision to legalize abortion in Roe v. Wade revolutionizes freedom of reproductive choice for women across the country.
  • PPCSA employs nurse practitioners for the first time, a cost-effective measure to provide services to more clients.


1980s

  • PPCSA expands to four independent health care centers subsidized by public funds. The purchase of the Babcock building allows PPCSA to open its first self-sustaining clinic, supported through client fees and private donations.
  • PPCSA's name is changed to Planned Parenthood of San Antonio (PPSA).
  • PPSA adds screening services for HIV and treatment for chlamydia.
  • In 1989, PPSA opens its second self-sustaining health care center in northwest San Antonio.

1990s

  • Planned Parenthood opens another self-sustaining center in northeast San Antonio.
  • Two new birth control options are offered to Planned Parenthood patients: the Norplant device prevents pregnancy for five years, and the Depo-Provera injection prevents pregnancy for three months.
  • Planned Parenthood adds first-trimester abortion care services in San Antonio.

2000s

  • Opened our newest health center on Marbach Road in 2005.
  • Expanded gynecological services to include follow-up and treatment of abnormal Pap tests to prevent the advancement of cervical cancer.
  • In 2010, The Planned Parenthood Trust of San Antonio and South Central Texas consolidates with its sister affiliate, the Planned Parenthood Association of Cameron and Willacy Counties. Service Delivery area now includes: San Antonio,Harlingen and Brownsville.
  • In 2011, The Planned Parenthood Trust of San Antonio and South Central Texas changes its name to the Planned Parenthood Trust of South Texas to reflect its new geographic scope.
  • On January 1, 2014 the Planned Parenthood Trust of South Texas changes its name is Planned Parenthood South Texas.
  • tumblr icon
  • google plus icon
  • twitter icon
  • rss icon
Our History