Imagine a place where professionals engage in meaningful dialogue about health and sexuality, where learning is interactive and inspiring and where creativity is encouraged.
At Planned Parenthood Mid-Hudson Valley we develop conferences and trainings that empower professionals to work effectively with students and clients on all aspects of sexual health. Our educators have extensive experience talking about sensitive topics, and we share that expertise with professionals.
Whether you're an educator, health care provider, human service professional, youth worker or faith community leader, we provide training that will help you facilitate communication about sexuality and update your awareness of current issues.
In addition to the programs listed below, special seminars are offered throughout the year. Please call the education office in your county for further information or to arrange a session for your group. Training programs can be tailored to each group's needs.
- What is "normal" adolescent development?
- What sexual pressures are today's teens facing?
- What barriers to responsible sexual behavior exist or affect decisions?
- This workshop addresses these questions and provides lesson plans and experiential learning activities for the classroom.
- This workshop presents current information on use and effectiveness of all available contraceptive methods, with a special focus on new options including:
- The Patch
- The Ring
- The Female Condom
Participants will learn the proper use of each method and examine common misconceptions about them. This workshop also explores how to impart information in an impartial manner and the steps an individual follows in choosing an appropriate form of contraception.
HIV Counselor Training
This three day course is designed to equip participants with the basic knowledge and skills necessary to provide quality HIV pre and post test counseling consistent with the New York State Department of Health AIDS Institute requirements.The training is set in a relaxed environment and is designed to be interactive and engaging.Training goals include:
- understanding HIV and the issues that surround the epidemic
- being able to demonstrate NYS pre and post test counseling protocol
- developing safety and coping plans with clients
- developing personal strategies to prevent burnout
It is difficult to keep abreast of the latest information on HIV/AIDS. This program updates the facts about HIV transmission and prevention and discusses how the virus impacts our society. Special attention is given to new medical treatments, updates on HIV antibody testing and safer sex practices.
For more information, call or email Planned Parenthood Mid-Hudson Valley's Education Department.
New Windsor (Administration) (845) 838-1200, Ext. 103
Kingston (845) 475-7645
Monticello (845) 791-5308
Newburgh (845) 562-7800
Poughkeepsie (845) 790-5914