No time or money for a fancy gym membership? Get in shape using common household items!
- Water bottles - Use water bottles as dumbbells. Since water isn't that heavy, try filling two water bottles with sand. A 1.5 liter bottle filled with sand weighs approximately 3 pounds. Use these for bicep curls or shoulder presses.
- Gallon jugs When you're ready to move up to heavier weights, try using gallon jugs. A gallon jug filled with sand weighs approximately 13 pounds. Work your way up, start by filling full, then full, before you know it you'll be ready for a full jug!
- Books or soup cans Hold books of the same size and weight (or soup cans) in each hand and perform lateral raises. Or for a more challenging stomach crunch, place a good sized book (for example, a telephone directory) on your chest to add weight and strengthen your stomach muscles.
- Towel Use a bath towel for leg lifts. While lying on your back, loop a bath towel around your ankle. While holding the towel by both ends, bring the towel and your leg towards your chest. Alternate using the towel around each ankle.
- Basketball or beach ball While sitting on the edge of a chair, place the basketball or beach ball between your knees and squeeze your legs together. This is great for strengthening your thighs.
- Bungee cord Use bungee cords as resistance bands. While standing on one end of the cord, grip the other end in your hand, raise your arm towards your chest to strengthen your biceps and triceps.
- Step stool Use a sturdy step stool for step-ups, by repeatedly stepping up and down off of the lowest step.
- Rope Jumping rope is a cheap high-intensity cardiovascular workout. Grab some rope and start jumping.
- Hula Hoop You probably haven't thought about the hula hoop being workout equipment, but the hula can help tone your thighs, stomach, buttocks and arms.
See if you can come up with your own exercise routine using these common household items.
Easy Exercises to do at Home
Finding time to exercise daily is easy. Try this 15 minute exercise routine first thing in the morning to jumpstart your day!
Stretching (7 minutes)
Sit in a comfortable cross legged position on the floor.
Neck rolls- rotate your head 3 times from right to left then 3 times for left to right
Shoulder rolls- roll your shoulders forward and back 3 times in each direction
Side stretches- place your left hand on the floor next to your hip, extend your right arm up, lend over to the left and stretch the right side of your body. Do the same to each side two times.
Side twist- place your right hand on your left knee and your left hand on the floor behind your hip. Twist to the left. Do the same to each side two times.
Stretch your legs out while sitting on the floor.
Leg lifts- place your hands down on either side your hips. Keeping your back straight, lift one leg at a time and hold it for 3 complete breaths. Repeat on each leg two times.
Forward bends- lift both arms over head, take a deep breath, exhale and fold forward. Hold in the forward sitting position for 3 complete breaths.
Move to hand and knee position (Table Pose)
Rolling hips- on hands and knees, roll your hips three times from right to left and then three times from left to right.
Cat-Cow- on hands and knees, rotate your spine up and down by flexing and arching your back. Repeat 7 times.
Aerobics (5 minutes)
Toe touches- stand with legs apart. Extend your arms sideways like the letter T. Inhale your breath. As you exhale, try to touch your right hand to your left foot. Inhale to standing. Exhale your left hand to your right foot. Repeat four times on each side.
Jumping jacks- do jumping jacks for one minute. Build up each week until you can do them for 3 whole minutes!
Jog or walk in place- whatever one you choose to do, be sure to lift your knees high and swing your arms. Jog or walk in place for one minute. Build up each week until you can move for 3 whole minutes!
Cool Down (3 minutes)
Lie down on the floor with knees bend and feet flat on the floor.
Back massage- bring your knees into your chest and wrapping your arms around your legs. Rock side to side massaging your back.
Hamstring release- Lie down on the floor with knees bend and feet flat on the floor. Extend right leg up towards the ceiling. Place your hands on the back of your thighs. Inhale and lift your head towards your right knee. Hold for 2 breaths. Exhale and bring your head down. Repeat twice on each side.
Reclining twist- bring your knees into your chest and wrapping your arms around your legs. Extend your arms sideways like the letter T, palms facing down on the floor. Inhale. Exhale and bring your legs over towards the right and turn your head towards the left. Repeat twice on each side.
Reclining stretch- Lie on the floor with your arms extended. Stretch your body by flexing and pointing from your fingers to your toes, inhaling and exhaling as you stretch.
Enjoy your wonderful Day!
Check out our other fitness tips:
*From the Mayo Clinic