Adolescent Parenting Program (APP) provides support for parenting teens up to age seventeen. The program works to help parenting teens remain in school, graduate from high school, and delay a second pregnancy. Planned Parenthood Health Systems implements the APP in two locations: Burgaw, North Carolina and Wilmington, North Carolina.
Are you adult mentor material?
Planned Parenthood Health Systems needs adult mentors in New Hanover and Pender counties! Mentors must be 21 years of age, have a cell-phone, reliable transportation, and be a high school graduate. Mentors must be able to commit to spending at least four hours per month, for one year, to a teen parent.
Mentor duties include:
- serving as a positive role model
- encouraging good parenting skills
- encouraging school attendance
- helping with transportation
- attending monthly peer group meetings with a teen parent
- encouraging responsible sexual behavior
- friend and advocate for a teen parent
Most importantly, a mentor is a friend and advocate for parenting teens!
To learn more about the APP Program - teen enrollement or mentoring possibilities, please contact the Burgaw or Wilmington health educators.