Take Charge at a Glance:
What is Take Charge?
Take Charge is a state and federally funded program providing family planning services (including free birth control) to women and men in Washington state who do not have insurance or whose coverage does not include contraception. You may apply for this program at any Planned Parenthood location in Washington.
Take Charge Services: Free Birth Control and Much More
Take Charge coverage is for one full year. Upon approval, you may receive:
- Well womanexam and birth control methods education
- All birth control methods including: birth control pill, patch, implant, vaginal ring, shot, IUD, condoms and sterilization (vasectomy or tubal ligation)
- Emergency contraception (a.k.a. the morning-after pill)
- Testing for sexually transmitted infections (chlamydia and gonorrhea only) during the well woman exam for women 25 and younger.
(Take Chargedoes not cover the cost of follow-up examinations for abnormal Pap smears, immunizations, abortion, HIV testing or STD treatment.)
Who is Eligible for Take Charge?
Take Charge is for Washington state residents who are U.S. citizens or legal permanent residentswho want to prevent pregnancy but have no health insurance covering family planning or other Medicaid coverage. To qualify for Take Charge, you cannot already be pregnant and your monthly income must be less than:
|Family Size||Monthly Income|
|2 people (you+1)||$3,152|
|3 people (you +2)||$3,977|
|4 people (you + 3)||$4,802|
|For each additional person add:||$825|
If you are 18 or younger living with your parent(s), you may be covered bytheir health insurance. If your parents know you are using birth control, please bring their health insurance information with youto your appointment.
If you do not want your parents to know you're using birth control and keep the services you receive confidential, you may apply for Take Charge. Your parents' insurance will not be billed.
Get started today! Sign up for Take Charge at your nearest Planned Parenthood health center.Trained staff are available at all Planned Parenthood locations to assist you in completing your Take Charge application - please arrive early in order to complete the application form or print and fill out the application ahead of time. Walk-in appointments are always welcome.
Please bring the following with youto your appointment:
- Proof of Income: Pay stubs from the previous 30 days. Teens do not need to report their parents' income. Patients receiving unemployment benefits or making less than $500 per month need to provide an explanation of how they are meeting their needs.
- Proof of Citizenship/Residency: State or Government issued identifica and a valid Washington state address. A valid social security number and an unexpired LPR or "green card" if you are a permanent resident.
- Proof of Insurance: If you have other medical insurance, your private insurance will be billed first. If they do not cover your family planning services, we will bill Take Charge.
- Take Charge Application: If you are able, please print and fill out your Take Charge Application before your visit
Call 1-800-230-PLAN (7526), request an appointment,or visit your nearest health center. We'll be happy to answer your questions and start you on your way to a year of free birth control. You can also read our patient information sheet.