• Teen Council Application
Check out this video about Teen Council!
What is Teen Council?
Teen Council is year-long peer education program for teens age 15 -18. Teen Council participants receive at least 50 hours of training and reach out to their peers, families and communities in formal and informal settings, spreading knowledge and skills to help youth develop healthy sexual attitudes and behaviors.
Teen Council participants will:
- Develop education projects for our community
- Give classroom presentations
- Co-facilitate workshops for parents and families
- Write articles for publications
- Be part of an action research project
Teens are powerful educators and are able to reach their peers in ways that adults could never do.
What will I gain from being a part of Teen Council?
As a member of Teen Council, you'll gain valuable leadership skills and important, interesting, and up-to-date information about sexual health. The Teen Council program is also a fantastic accomplishment to include on college applications or on resumes for employment. We value your commitment and are happy to provide you with documentation for community service hours.
What's the commitment?
If selected, you will:
- Commit to attending a two day retreat during summer and two-hour weekly meetings.
- Receive training on health education topics; gain leadership skills; work as an advocate (that means working to stand up for the rights of yourself and others); learn about diversity issues and improve your presentation skills.
- Share information with your peers formally and informally through presentations, outreach and other education projects.
Who can apply?
In order to apply, you must be:
- Age 15-18
- Responsible, reliable and dependable
- Able to attend all trainings, events and meetings
- Excited to work with other teens who may be different from you
- Dedicated to improving access to high-quality, comprehensive sexuality and health education for teens
How do I apply?
Step 1. Complete the Teen Council Application and Consent. Return completed forms to:
Planned Parenthood Columbia Willamette
ATTN: Teen Council Coordinator
3727 NE Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd.
Portland, OR 97212
You must sign the service commitment and have your parent or guardian to sign the consent form to be eligible.
Step 2. We will contact you for an interview.
Step 3. We can only select 12 leaders, although we have opportunities for everyone to be involved. We will make decisions and notify you in early summer.
If you need any help with the application or have any questions, feel free to contact the Teen Council Coordinator at 503.775.4931 x6 or email@example.com.
Thanks for your interest in joining Teen Council, and good luck!