What is Teen Council?
Teen Council is Planned Parenthood’s peer education and leadership program. Teens learn sexual health info and teach their friends and classmates. Teens also organize events at their schools and in their communities to raise awareness about HIV/AIDS, teen pregnancy and LGBTQ issues.
Benefits of Teen Council
- Leadership & Presentation Skills
- Travel & Internship Opportunities
- Interview & Job skills
- Include in Scholarship & College Apps
- Volunteer Experience & School Credit
- Letters of Recommendation
Teen Council starts the year with an adventurous overnight retreat. Here, teens from several cities come together for a team building ropes course as they get to know each other better and learn more about the program.
Learning + Teaching
Teen Council members facilitate a 5-lesson curriculum recommended by the Department of Education, called Making Proud Choices. The teens teach in health classrooms and community organizations.
Lesson 1: Sex Outcomes, Myths & Sexuality
Lesson 2: Abstinence & Birth Control
Lesson 3: Sexually Transmitted Infections (STIs)
Lesson 4: HIV/AIDS & Condoms
Lesson 5: Healthy Relationships & Negotiation Skills
Who Can Apply?
In order to apply, you must be:
- Age 15-18
- Responsible, reliable and dependable
- Able to attend trainings, events and meetings. The annual overnight retreat is required
- Excited to work with other teens who may be different from you
- Dedicated to improving access to high-quality, comprehensive sexuality and health education for teens
How Do I Apply?:
- Complete the Teen Council Application and Consent.
Return completed forms to:
Planned Parenthood Columbia Willamette
ATTN: Teen Council Coordinator
3727 NE Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd.
Portland, OR 97212
- We will contact you for an interview.
- We can only select 12 leaders, although we have opportunities for everyone to be involved. We will make decisions and notify you in early summer.
If you need any help with the application or have any questions, feel free to contact the Teen Council Coordinator at 503.775.4931 x6 or email@example.com.