The Entre Nosotros ColoniaOutreach Project is a peer education health program in which adultpromotoras (health promoters) provide information about reproductive health and Planned Parenthood Association of Hidalgo County services within low income neighborhoods. The project focuses primarily on rural and isolated areas.
Organized in 1989, this nationally award-winning program is one of the oldest and largest reproductive health peer education projects in the U.S.
Promotoras are trained to:
- Provide accurate, culturally appropriate reproductive health information
- Conduct door-to-door outreach in rural colonias and in low-income urban neighborhoods
- Give platicas ("small talks") to peers in homes, at community centers and through social service agencies
- Conduct family communication workshops in Spanish
- Make appointments for services and serve as client advocates at the Rio Grande City center and at part-time centers at the Progreso, San Juan and San Carlos community centers.