In 2010, we celebrated our 75th year as a nonprofit agency, serving communities in Arizona!
In the fall of 1934, a group of Tucson women met to consider the need for a local birth control clinic. Margaret Sanger, a pioneer and founder of the family planning movement in the United States, outlined the value of such a clinic and told of successful efforts across the country. As a result of group consensus regarding a woman's right to access appropriate and effective contraceptive care, the women who attended the meeting - Mrs. Sherman Wright, Mrs. Hubert d'Autremont, Mrs. Benson Bloom (Christina Johnson), Mrs. Lawrence Gray, Mrs. Guerin Wilson, Mrs. George Dittman, Mrs. J. Harold Bradley, Mrs. G. Barrett, Mrs. John Smith and Mrs. Roland Davidson - opened the Clinica para Madres in Tucson, Arizona, in December 1934.
A few years later on February 18, 1937, Margaret Sanger addressed a group of socially prominent Phoenix women. At the time, Arizona was reporting the second highest maternal and infant mortality rate in the nation. Sanger said the statistics in Arizona were "ridiculous and unnecessary." Both horrified and inspired by Ms. Sanger's speech, Mrs. Barry Goldwater, Mrs. H.T. Cuthbert, Mrs. Waltern Bimson, Mrs. Dwight B. Heard and Mrs. John Adams Rockwell took immediate action and began to raise funds to open the Phoenix Mother's Health Clinic. The clinic doors were opened on October 1, 1937. The clinic, which provided diaphragm fittings and family planning counseling for married women, overflowed with women on a daily basis.
Eight years later, Planned Parenthood Arizona has grown its operations to 11 health centers located across the state. Planned Parenthood Arizona has continued providing high quality confidential health care and education. We have served four generations of Arizona families. We are known for our commitment to quality confidential services, accurate information, education and training, and social justice advocacy.